Saturday, January 26, 2008

Civic Duty and Boredom

Moi, wrapped up in the quilt that has attended all illness since high school


Since I went to bed so early last night, I was up at 5:30am. Good thing. Park called me at 6:20. He's upset about his dad dying. Poor Park. His dad had Alzheimer's, and Park gave up his whole life to move back home to take care of him. His family treated him like shit for doing it too. In the process, he's neglected himself to the point that now that his dad is gone, he is not sure what he's going to do with himself. He's such a sweet guy, and he so needs someone to take care of him, which of course pushes all my buttons. I talked to him for a while, and I think he felt better when we were done. I used to feel so inadequate in talking to people about grief, because everything I felt I could say felt so pat and inadequate. But after a loss of my own, I realize that sometimes you just need someone to make soothing noises and tell you everything will be OK. So that's basically what I did.

Since I was up, I went on to the polls and did the only thing I have to do today, voted in the primary.

After that the day rapidly descended into boredom. You can only play so many games of Tetras. I tried watching an Esther Williams movie, but it was one of the ones from later in her career when they ran out of ways to get her in the water. So there was no swimming, and I'm thinking what's the point.

I am embarrassed to say that I checked out the movie "Racing Stripes" from the library last night. I thought it would be something brainless and entertaining. Well I got the brainless part right anyway. It was pretty bad. But I watched it anyway, and wondered with all the violence in the world how Dana Carvey has managed to evade the death squad that must have certainly formed by now to Rid the World of Him.

Justin called and talked for a while, but I didn't think going antiquing in Spartanburg was a great idea today.

No comments: