Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Such a Good Boy!

I had gotten some BJ's coupons in the mail, so I went in tonight after work to see how good the deals were. Meh, not so great. You have to watch them, some stuff is just as cheap retail, without buying a 55 gallon drum. So, I looked around a bit, saw what they had on sale from the holidays, etc. I spent only $4, getting a new calendar for my desk at work. I use a desktop pad to keep track of my social engagements. So much easier to be able to see a whole month at a glance.

I can't believe I spent only $4 at BJ's, despite the temptations. But the fridge is full, and I am mostly stocked up on BJ's stuff right now.

I also finally finished the book Atonement by Ian Mcewan, which I have been reading on for about a month, since I didn't do any reading over the holiday, as I had expected. It reminded me of The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. Both fairly grim, both set during WWII in the UK. Atonement did have a more satisfactory ending than The Night Watch, but you worked for it. The movie for A has won all kinds of awards already, but now I'm not sure if I want to see it. You have to get through an awful lot of grim to get to a really pretty small payoff. I like to see my characters happy, or at least I like to see them happy for a while after they overcome whatever. Or if they must be unhappy, I prefer they be unhappy in an amusing way. I live enough life in quiet desperation, measuring out my days with coffee spoons. That is not entertainment to me. I suppose that makes me shallow, but that's the way I am.

In other news, the "Bunny Bump" Wii music (instrumental version of the disco song "Good Times" by Chic) has been stuck in my head for two days. I don't know if they have crack in the controllers or what, but I seriously had to stop myself from calling Billy to beg going over to play that game today. After all, it's his present, and I don't want him to think I'm only going over there to play Wii. I have never thought this much about a video game before. I downloaded a free version of Tetris to act as my methodone.

No comments: