Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year's Day

Well this is the official end of my vacation. It has been SO great to get some time away from the office, but I suppose all good things must come to an end. As to the holidays, as usual, when they are over, I am pretty much ready for them to be. I am holidayed out. I haven't fallen in love, but then I haven't been depressed either. I was really dreading this holiday season, but for the most part I have really enjoyed myself, and I am feeling stronger and much more back to myself than I expected to be.

Russ and Billy came over for New Year's Day dinner. I had everything made, and the house was pretty much clean already. Russ loves country food, but they don't make that much of it. I had put my peas on late last night when I got in, which mostly just involved turning on the crock pot, and did my greens today. I cheated this year and did frozen mustard and turnip greens, because collards are so messy and so much work. Plus they stink up the house worse, I think. I also did some brown rice, and homemade corn bread. I had quit making it because Michael liked Jiffy better, but it was nice to make my old cornbread again. I don't eat a lot of country food any more, but it's nice to know I can still do it. We had eggnog ice cream for dessert that Billy and Russ brought me. I wanted to get a bit to put in the fridge before it all got gone. Peppermint is my favorite, but that was all gone already, and I like eggnog too.

After dinner, we decided to take in a movie. We went to see Enchanted, which I absolutely loved. It was funny and smart and very sweet. I found it absolutely charming. I do love it when love conquers all, and must confess I shed a tear or two. I'm such an old softie.

No comments: