Saturday, March 3, 2012

A post in which we have an induction

I knew today would be a busy day, so I was up and at it. When I got up, I started working on taters. I scalloped 5lbs of redskin potatoes for tonight in a rosemary garlic cream sauce. That was how I used Wilenda's rosemary this year. She brings it to us every year tied up in little Christmas/solstice ornaments and then after the holidays I usually make it into scalloped potatoes. I felt like doing something a bit special for Wilenda. I try to show her a little extra love because I think she needs it.

I started making the taters, and then got mad at myself. You should really use baking potatoes for this recipe, because the starch cooks out of them and thickens the sauce. But when I was at the store, redskins were on sale and I got those. So my sauce wasn't doing what I wanted it to do, despite my cooking the potatoes until they were falling apart. I was thinking why the hell did I go cheap? Tonight is a rare family function. I should have sprung for the extra two bucks for heaven's sake. But it was too late now. They tasted good, but the sauce was too thin, and the potatoes were a bit unevenly done because I had tripled the recipe.

After that I was futzing around the house trying to get a few things done because I knew I wouldn't have the time or the inclination tomorrow, and because I had lunch out with Dad, Eve, Lisa, Cole, and Ava today. I chatted online for a bit today, and inadvertently got my webcam to work. Well with one site anyway. That was interesting.

I was in mid-futz when Eve called me about noon. "Can you come on to lunch now?" she asked. Well no I couldn't. Lisa wasn't supposed to be here until 11:30am, and since the purpose of the trip was for Ava to see the baby goats at a friend of my dad's, I hadn't counted on hearing from them that early. I thought I wasn't going to get to see them, but they changed the plans and went on to the farm, so I got cleaned up and headed over to Dad's house to wait for their return.

It ended up that Eve and I met them at Mr. Salsa. I had eaten there before a long time ago. The food was good. Ava was charged up about seeing the goats, but she wasn't feeling terribly well. She's had the flu, and has been running a mystery fever periodically. It went up again last night to 102.5, and Lisa had to take her to the doctor this morning, which was why they were running late. So we ate, but Ava didn't. By the end of the meal, it was obvious she wasn't feeling well again, and it was time to go.

I bundled Eve off with them to go back to the house and went to pick up Rhonda. We ran back to my place to change and pick up the taters before heading to Spartanburg for the induction. I was patting myself on the back for getting today organized despite all I had to do when Russ called. He wanted me to come by their place to get the induction gifts for Rob and Jo Ann so I could take them on to get them signed before the ceremony. Crap. Fortunately I had the time to do it. Just. I just had to forgo my private visit-with-Rhondee time.

Tonight we inducted Rob, Jo Anne, Petal, and Marty to the Kindred. It was a lovely ceremony, and the energy was very strong. We closed the circle and I was swaying in the power rolling off of everyone. It was really cool. We felt cohesive in a way we haven't been since I've been in the Kindred. We presented the postulates with their gifts from the family. Petal received a hand made double-forked wand with crystals, stones, and braided doeskin. Marty got a really nice hand-carved staff. We had all handled the gifts to imbue them with some family energy. Jo Ann received a really nice knife as our Lady Warrior. There was a plaque that allowed her to hang it on the wall, and we all signed and wrote stuff on the back of the plaque. Rob got a beautiful hand made leather-bound journal, which seemed appropriate since he has come out of himself and written such in-depth emails for his updates for the last year. We had all written a little something in the opening pages of the book.

After the presentation and induction, Lady Beth came around and re-affirmed us all individually by saying a little bit about what we meant to her. It was very touching, and I was very moved. She saved Rhonda for last. When she talked about Rhonda taking care of me and growing so much over the last couple of years, Rhonda was crying and truthfully there wasn't a dry eye in the house. I think I cried more over what she said about Rhonda than I did over what she said about me. It was really a beautiful way to close the ceremony.

Next was supper, and the food was delicious! Lady Beth had made some excellent pasta, and even better sent the veggie pasta home with me. Yummy! The potatoes seemed to go over well. Billy made his onion pies, and I have to say they were the best he has ever made. Everything was delicious, and I pretty much ate until I couldn't move.

After the meal the pledges presented their service projects. Rob and Jo Ann brought little drums with the Kindred symbol on them. Marty and Petal had made customized medicine bags for each of us, complete with DVDs telling us how they were put together, and why each element was in our bag. They were very cool.

When it was all over, we relaxed and hung out for a while, just enjoying each other's company. But we had a very early morning tomorrow - we had to be back at Lady Beth's at 9am (!!), so people started peeling off relatively early. I took Rhonda home, made up the sofa for her, and we went to bed.

2 comments:

rhonda said...

Your per-taters were per-fect, specially with Billy's onion pie.....i coulda made a whole meal out of just that!

thefabulousmrthing said...

Aw. Listen how sweet you are to me. Thank you honey.