Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A post in which I make green beans

I got a lunch hour today! Yay! That was a good thing. I also had delicious leftover Shrimp Newberg from supper last night. Yummy. Alan was out of the office too, and that always makes things a bit more quite for yours truly. I had a quiet morning, but a brisk afternoon. Still, I was able to put out all the flaming ducks before I left.

I went home tonight. I'm not spending as many evenings at home as I used to, partially by design, but mostly by happenstance at this point. I'm torn. On the one hand things feel kind of hectic and it isn't really fair to the kitties to be gone so much, but on the other hand I feel like I was tied down for so long that I really kind of want to be out there doing stuff.

Jerimiah had sent me a text that he was coming to see me, but as is not uncommon for him he did not show up. And really that was fine.

What I needed to do tonight was file my income taxes (!!), but when I got home I decided to eat first. When I opened the fridge there were the snap beans I bought last weekend. They needed to be cooked. The idea was that I would try out a culinary hunch. I really like the green beans you get at the Chinese buffets around here. They are sauteed with oil, fresh garlic, and some kind of sauce. Now originally I thought it was soy sauce, but the ones I tried to make at home didn't turn out right. Last week I started wondering if they used Ponzu sauce instead. Tonight I tried it out, and they were bang on it flavor-wise. Sadly the beans I bought weren't as pretty as I thought they were and the beans themselves were tough. So next I have to find out if the Ponzu will hold up to slow-cooking, which would make the beans more tender. An Asian-fusion green bean could potentially be awesome.

By the time I had washed, snapped, and cooked my beans, then eaten and cleaned up the kitchen, I was feeling too wiped to do my taxes. Not that I had been particularly excited about doing them to start with. So I gave myself the night off, turned on the telly, fired up the laptop, and chatted for an hour or so before I got ready for bed.

It was a quiet evening, but a normal one (well as normal as I get anyway). I used to feel lonely when I spent evenings at the house by myself, but I guess partially due to the novelty of feeling good consistently, I don't really feel that way very often now. Chatting with the guys online is nice - it feels less like an unsuccessful husband-hunt and more like talking to friends now.

No comments: