Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A post in which I go to Target

I heard from Eve today, and she put off our weekly supper until tomorrow night. She'll be out of town visiting cousins in Florida, but she wanted me to come perk Dad up and give him a reason to get out of bed. He'll be batching it this week, and I'm sure enjoying the peace, but he does need to get up and around.

I haven't shopped at Target very much because HRC has been in a kerfuffle with them. But I've been conflicted about it because Tony works there, and because James works there. He's in the management program. I stopped there on the way to James's birthday party the other week though, and when he saw that his card came from there, he thanked me for supporting his 401k. When I told him I don't shop there much because of the controversy, he pointed out that he works there and that they offer domestic partner benefits (which I did not know). So after thinking about it, I decided to go, partially to spend money I didn't have, and partially because Eve had texted me last week that they had Rubbermaid containers there. I was searching for the elusive 3-cup container, but alas was no more successful there than I have been anywhere else. There are tons of disposables in that size (so they have to know that size is what people want!), but the only durable they offer in that size is a sandwich holder. I don't get it.

I did, however, find several other things I wanted. I found a really nice Hanes zip hoodie in a beautiful orange-y, rusty, pumpkin-y color that was on clearance for $7.24. At that price I really just couldn't leave it. I bought some 2-cup containers because the ones I have now look grotty. I also found some underwear on sale and bought that, although their stocks of knit boxers were notably low. I didn't find any packaged knit boxers in my size in the whole store. They of course had every other kind in my size, but I don't wear any other kind any more. The ones I bought were boring, but they'll be comfy, they are suitable for *ahem* entertaining, and I'm trying to get the cartoon boxers weeded out of my underwear little by little. I just think I'm too old for them now. I am spoiled for buying underwear three pairs for five dollars at the jockey lot though (back in the day) and so I just won't pay $12-$15 a pair for underwear. I don't pay that for pants if I can help it, for heavens sake.

I have to say that any lingering doubts I had about this being a politically correct place to shop were alleviated. The place was just bustin' with homos. The guy that checked me out was super nice too.

I also bought Cindy's birthday card. After talking to Russ, Eve, and Lynn about it, I've just decided to send one. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I didn't get a fancy one, and it certainly isn't a gushy one that talks about how she's always there for me, but it says happy birthday. She is turning 40 this year.

By the time I got home, I was hungry. I heated up the last of the yummy taters, watched some telly, and chatted online for a while. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy talking to the guys on Bear411. And if the only guys who want to marry me are a thousand miles away, well then at least someone is interested right? I virtuously declined to hook up tonight, and turned in.

Before I did that though, I finally got registered for Bear Hunt Crusade in May. Yay!! There had been problems with the website, but when I signed in under another browser I was able to register. Good thing too. When I called the hotel, they told me they were almost sold out of rooms for the run. I got one though, and it's ocean front too. Nice :) After thinking about staying with a friend of mine, I decided to get my own room. I heard from a really nice guy I met last year online, and he'll be at the Hunt again this year. I would really enjoy spending some time with him. I decided that I didn't want any impediments to that.

No comments: