Saturday, March 24, 2012

A post in which there is a bear dinner

Among other things.

I was up fairly early, but wasted the morning as I am wont to do these days, fooling around on the internet. I finally decided to move around 11am or so. I went on to the flea market for produce - it was too late for glass. I got some nice apples, some tomatoes, and some string beans.

I came home and was still sleepy (I had been up pretty early) so I took a nap for a while. When I woke up, I knew it was time to get moving. Jo Ann and Rob were in town this weekend, and I wanted to get over early to spend some time visiting before we left for the dinner. I sent a text to the boys to see where they were, and started getting ready.

As it turned out, I had plenty of time to see to a load of laundry, cat chores, etc before I left. They were at the fetish flea market this weekend. Logan told me he was pretty bored, so I didn't feel that I was missing anything. I finished making tea and futzed around the house for a bit before I left. I've also had a strange craving for Cheerwine lately, so I stopped and bought a 12-pack of it on the way over to stow in their garage. I can't find a convenience store that stocks it cold, and I don't drink that diet stuff (which is all they keep at their house). I don't trust artificial sweetners. They keep relating them to health problems, and quite frankly I have had my share of those thank you very much.

As it turns out, I needn't have hurried. When I got to the house Russ was in the back getting ready, and everyone else had plugged into their various pads and phones for the duration. It makes me NUTS. You go places to socialize and look at the back of their freakin phones all evening. So I conversed with the Pad people for a while. By the time Russ was ready to go, it was time to leave.

The bear dinner tonight was at Della Ventura, that pantheon of Italian cuisine in Greer (of all places). Their food is just amazingly delicious, and Joe, the owner, is such a sweetheart of a guy that I feel good about spending my money there. We came in and sat down as I was trying to coordinate a visit for Miss Kat and dana to come see Rob and Jo Ann. Consequently, I missed a seat at Russ and Billys' table. That was fine though - I mean the purpose of the dinners is to mingle right? I was at a table with two couples, one couple very nice and very gorgeous, but complete in their world of two; the second couple also cute and also complete. I didn't have much in common with either. Across from me was a nice guy named John, who I like, but who kicked me to the curb last year before he even went out with me (I've decided to be big about that), which made it a bit of a stretch to converse for three hours. The service is always slow for such a large group, especially when it is in addition to the usual Saturday night crowd. But things went well. I do really like John. The food was to die for as usual. I had my favorite - pink sauce and ziti with spinach. It is gorgeously delicious, but I keep telling myself that I need to try other things, because everything there is so good. I also had a side salad. I probably shouldn't have had all those greens, but the doc had told me last week that Lovenox isn't affected by vitamin K, so I figured I would be OK. We also had some of their delicious zeppole for dessert. Lovely.

After supper we went back to the house and I visited for a while. The weather was gorgeous and it was very nice being out on the porch; but it was getting late, and I was tired after all that food.

No comments: