Saturday, March 17, 2012

A post in which we go to the flea market!

I was up early to head for Russ and Billy's house this morning. We had a brief visit, some chocolate chip pancakes (yum), and then headed for the Barnyard Flea Market. We had been to Anderson the last time, and Barnyard is really my favorite now. There is usually a consistently better grade of stuff, although it is a bit harder to get a deal now. I did have a great day hunting today. The weather was gorgeous and there were tons of people out. Although this resulted in the inevitable traffic jams and slowness (pretty weather brings out the amateur crowd) I really didn't mind too terribly much. There were a lot of green shirts in evidence for St. Patricks' Day.

I found a saucer to go with my cake plate and saucer set I'm inexplicably still collecting of crystal Columbia. I started that a while back just because it was a slow day and I found a really good price on the cake plate. It's harder to get a deal on the saucers. Because they are clear, a lot of people don't recognize them as Depression Glass, and because they are so cheap, it's hard to buy them for less than book. The book value on these is $1. I paid $2 today just because it is so unusual to see one on offer. At least the woman I bought it from was nice.



Columbia saucer in crystal, by Federal Glass Co, circa 1938-1942 (the one I bought today had a cup ring - they don't all have it)

I also found a bread plate to go with my Bubble, which I'm using for every day right now. I broke one in the microwave. What I really need for those is about 3 flat soups (they are most elusive) and some cereal bowls. I have plenty of the smaller fruit bowls, which I keep running across, I guess because they weren't used that much and didn't get broken. The bread plate was only $1, though, so I couldn't resist.


Bubble 6 3/4" bread plate in sapphire blue by Anchor Hocking circa 1942-1948

I found a Cloverleaf fruit bowl. I've always liked the pattern, and lately I've been picking up a few pieces as I run across it. This one was marked $10, which I thought was too high, but after checking my field guide I actually discovered it was pretty reasonable. I was tickled to get it, although the woman who sold it to me was, well, quite verbose, and in the parlance of the Seinfeld show, a 'close talker'. Still eventually I was able to extract my treasure and escape.


Cloverleaf 4" fruit bowl in green by Hazel-Atlas, circa 1930-1936

The deal of the day though was a set of four Windsor tumblers that I picked up for $12. They're valued at about $12 each, and since I already have the pitcher, I now have what antique dealers like to call a 'lemonade set'. The tumblers are in perfect condition - I couldn't find a chip on any of them.



Windsor 5 oz flat tumblers in pink by Jeannette Glass, cira 1936-1946

So it was a good glass day at the flea market. I was happy. I also picked up some glass vases. I need those to take flowers for some of the many thank yous I owe to various people who were good to me during treatment. I'm hoping to make some progress on all the thank yous I owe soon. I also picked up some good looking tomatoes. The produce is starting to come in from Florida. I have been really craving some good peaches, but it's still too early for them. To top it all off, the Disney guy up there had three Studio Ghibli movies I'd been meaning to buy. Well two anyway: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and Kiki's Delivery Service(!), both directed by Hayao Miyazaki. The third was The Cat Returns, which I also really liked (my cat Krooner was very close to being named Muta after one of the characters in the movie, but I just couldn't warm up to the name), but which wasn't a Miyazaki directed movie. I was pretty tickled to get them so cheaply - Miyazaki movies are just never cheap online. I hadn't intended to buy Nausicaa, but at three for $20 I couldn't resist.

After the market, Russ and I were hungry. Billy and Logan, being amateurs, had gotten corn dogs at the flea market, which resulted in our losing Billy for the second time. We spent a lot of time waiting for and looking for Billy today. After some discussion, we headed for the Gengis Grill. I was skeptical. I've never really gotten on to the whole Mongolian BBQ bandwagon, because if I knew what spices, etc to use I would make it at home. But they had really talked the place up, and I was willing to try it. The process turned out to be surprisingly user-friendly, and after some minor adjustment I have to say my lunch was delicious. It was also fresh, veggie-friendly, and cheaper than most similar quality food to be found locally, although the atmosphere leans towards the Cici's Pizza 'pull up to the trough'-esque.

Afterwards we strolled down to the new outdoors and active wear store that has recently opened to look at shockingly over-priced gear. Logan got some kind of fancy socks, but there wasn't much there that I could possibly cantilever my behind into. Plus there were all these skinny, hip people in there walking around. I got the impression that everyone there knew I was just a tourist. But it was fine.

When we got back to the house Russ and the guys had a day of yard work planned, and I so wasn't up for that, having not touched my own yard yet this year. Plus I was sleepy. I went home to take a nap, but ended up not doing it.

After having such a fun morning, I succumbed to lassitude this afternoon and evening. I thought about doing several things, but ended up doing none of them. In the end, my butt just grew to the sofa as I channel surfed and chatted online. I had tomato sandwiches and leftover guacamole for dinner, and basically just surrendered to the worthlessness.

No comments: