Thursday, March 8, 2012

A post in which I get a new computer

As one of two newly-elected co-secretaries of the Kindred, I am responsible for putting my notes into an organized synopsis of minutes for the Sunday meeting. Ordinarily that would be no problem, but month end has been particularly crazy this month. We had the usual month end madness, plus:

- a complete change in the presentation for the manager's meeting
- Alan was presenting this month, which he doesn't usually do
- it was quarter end
- the first audit for 2012 started, with a new auditing firm
- the semi-annual torture of the credit insurance renewal process started, for both the US and Canada (I was doing Canada numbers for this for the first time for insurance)

So generally the last week or so has just been a big ole hoot 'n a holler for yours truly.

Additionally I had a doctor's appointment today. My blood is hanging in there at 3.6, about twice as thin as they want it. I knew there was a thin person in my struggling to get out. He gave me terrible indigestion. After I saw the doc and he lowered my Coumadin dosage again, I went back to see the nurses in the chemo area. Cassie barely recognized me because I hadn't been in there in two weeks, and have so much more hair than the last time she saw me. It was good to see them all. They all petted my hair :)

I had planned to just take my lunch hour and organize everything today, but just as I started making some progress they came to give me a new computer. Oy. Now I really needed a new computer; but because I do a lot of stuff that no one else here does, it is always an issue trying to settle in and get everything working again. I was smart enough to get one of my software packages loaded while the guy was still at my desk because that takes a network administrator's approval, which I don't have.

Afterwards he moved on, and I sat down to start back, only to realize that I no longer had access to two key drives that I access to do my job. When I explained this to him, he started in with IT stuff about needed the address and exact title of the drives, etc. Now I am not a tecchie. As far as I know after I hit the switch magic makes the computer work. He then referred me to the (lack of) help desk. Fortunately I was able to get the addresses needed, and eventually got the drive access restored. It only took 2.5 hours (!!). This is why I loathe to change machines.

By the time I got it all straightened out it was really too late to take any time to do personal stuff. I finished up the work day and headed home.

I had planned to cook some of Miss Kat's veggie stew tonight, but by the time I got out of the office I just felt all frazzled out and too wiped out to cook. I did go home and put a load of laundry in (I wanted to wash my new lovely orange-y hoodie in time for the weekend) and put a frozen pizza in the oven. I had thought that because my blood was so thin I'd stop and get a salad tonight, but I decided just to eat the garlic bread I had planned on eating with the salad. The pizza was most disappointing. It was supposed to be a cilantro pesto pizza, but for some reason they had put a bunch of peppers in the sauce. It was really pretty spicy-hot, and not at all what I wanted or expected. It would have been nice to have a little warning... I won't be buying that again.

While I was futzing around, Dana called. She asked if she could come over, and I said sure. Her pending visit actually inspired me to do a couple of little chores I had planned to do tonight, but which I would probably have procrastinated about otherwise.

When she arrived she was quite upset. She's been working a punishing schedule for the last couple of weeks and Miss Kat has been out of town this week, so I know she's been having a rough time. All I could do was hug her and tell her it would be OK. Although I was of course sorry she was upset it was nice to do something for Dana. She has done so much for me, and I love her so much. We visited and talked for a while, and when she left she seemed to feel better. I hope she did.

I was wiped out. I ate 16-18 pounds of food, brushed my teeth, and turned in. I am SO ready for the weekend.

No comments: