Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A post in which it the end of the Frankenboob

Today I got my stitches out. I had taken staples out in nursing school so I knew pretty much what to expect. The wise old nurse, who I am sure had done this hundreds of times before, deftly whipped them out, placing the removed stitches on one had while cutting with the other. I stayed to see the doc, but he came in the room and said "You're done. I didn't realize you were waiting on me. You've been lying around here for nothing." That was good to hear. From any doctor! So I put on my shirt and left. It was a gorgeous cool spring day. As I walked out through the parking lot and made my way back to work, I reflected that I was one step closer to freedom. I'm seeing the oncologist again on Monday for them to check my blood thinner levels, but I'm supposed to be off of them by the end of April. Then after the follow-up PET scan I'll be done.

I had a very busy day at work. I suddenly realized yesterday that the month ends this week and that I needed to finish up my write-offs, so I did them all today, along with the monthly adjustments. Moving the twit meeting to last week threw my internal month calendar off. The doctor visit (again) today meant that I had no lunch hour. That makes the afternoons veeeeery long. But I was so busy today that it went relatively quickly.

I had dinner tonight with the folks. Eve made a quick shrimp newberg that was actually very tasty, and I got the leftovers to take for lunch tomorrow - yum! It will make a welcome break from tomato sandwiches and peanut butter crackers, which I've been eating for lunch all week because I was too lazy to cook last weekend.

I found out tonight that Dad has been scheduled for a hip replacement on May 8. He is grousing about it, of course, because he has to long to worry about it beforehand, but he's been hurting so badly that I think he's ready to do it. They'll have to do both, but since full recovery takes about six months I guess they'll wait a while for the second one. Apparently most of the bone is gone in the joint they're going to do first, but this should dramatically improve his mobility.

As we were waiting for Dad to arrive to eat, I had a phone call from Lisa. "Did you get it?" she asked. Apparently she had received the anticipated Farmer's Almanac-style invitation to Angela's wedding. I had received mine yesterday, but just kind of tossed the envelope on the kitchen counter. I knew what it was, and I had a busy evening ahead. "Call me when you open it..." she remarked, cryptically. Of course when I relayed this conversation to Eve she was about to expire of curiosity. I have to admit, mine is piqued as well.

But by the time I got home it was too late and I was too tired. I washed dishes and went to bed. It'll wait until the morning.

No comments: