Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A post in which I see the surgeon

Today was my appointment with Dr. Mann for what I thought was a consultation, but after waiting for about 45 minutes (natch) they ushered me into a small surgical room and said "Take off your shirt." Well I was fairly flummoxed, and explained that I was on massive doses of Coumadin still. The surgeon, despite Dr. Gococo's assurances that they had been sent all of my records and were fully aware of the situation, had no idea. Wow. That's not very reassuring. I'm glad that I'm an active participant in my own care, and can speak up.

Dr. Mann, after explaining to me that no, I did not want to bleed to death today (true) set an appointment for next week, and told me to stop taking the Coumadin. I'm back on shots until the surgery, but I'm really OK with that. The shots now mark the end of the path rather than the beginning of another path of aggravation, as I felt they did before. Another happiness was that I didn't have to do the dance of the 7 veils (as I had been warned I would have to) to talk Dr. Mann into going ahead and taking the freakin thing out. I am ready for this to be over. Also good was that I will have the port out before I go to Atlanta (!!) at the beginning of April. I am totally stoked about that trip - now more so than ever. I feel like I'll be off the leash at that point.

Tonight was my dinner out with Dad and Eve. Usually she plans what we're eating for supper by about 9:30am or so, but because she was flying back today and would be unavailable for a good portion of it, she texted me last night - from Florida - to set up dinner arrangements for tonight. I called Dad to make sure he knew and we had a chuckle about that.

She was of course full of stories about the Florida trip, her cousins, etc etc. She told me those on the way to the restaurant, since Dad had already heard them all I'm sure, and because he was on the phone with Lisa all the way there anyway.

We went to Lieu's Chinese Bistro tonight. They are fond of it (as are Russ and Billy), but it's usually a place I can take or leave. But having been there a number of times there now, I've found a couple of things on the menu that I really love. The shrimp I had tonight were excellent - the freshest tasting I've had since I was in San Francisco years ago.

After supper we went back to the house and visited for a while. It was a nice evening.

No comments: