Thursday, March 29, 2012

A post in which I eat green beans

I finished the remainder of my Ponzu beans at lunch today.

Today was a bit busier. I had emails from Rhonda today about Frolicon. She's excited about going, and we started talking about details for the trip. I had forgotten that the venue is relatively isolated. Apparently folks pack in food because there is only one restaurant close by. It's starting to sound more like camping than a hotel stay, but I'm waiting on expert advice from Russ and Billy.

Emails from the Kindred also heated up a bit. There have been a couple of action items kind of hanging out there for a while waiting for response, and they came back up today. So I had some of that to respond on, which led to a very funny call with Miss Kat this afternoon on my way out from work.

I had sent Rhonda the results of my bean experimentation, which made her crave Chinese buffet green beans, so we decided to go get some. When I got to the house Tony was there too, and he went with us. Always good to see Tony.

The problem was finding a Chinese buffet. During the last six months or so I haven't been eating much buffet because I couldn't eat that much. Apparently I was single-mouthedly keeping them in business, because we had a hard time finding one tonight. The first one we went to was closed, and the second one was closed and gone - the building had been bull-dozed, and it was a vacant lot. We finally ended up at one that was so-so. Ni Hao used to be excellent when they were in their former location, but since they moved I have been less impressed with them. When we got there tonight there was almost no one there despite the huge building they took over and renovated.

By that time though, we were starving. I have to say, given the sparsity of business, the food wasn't as bad as I had feared. I had no problem eating about 15lbs or so of it. The green beans we wanted were there, and palatable. About the time Rhonda remarked that she "really didn't mind having the whole place to ourselves" an apparent marching band or something unloaded and several hundred teen-agers flooded in. We had already mostly finished eating though, and they were in their own room, so it wasn't a big problem. By that point I had slowed down eating enough to make Tony laugh so hard he almost threw up. Plus I had yoinked the last of the peel-and-eat cold-boiled shrimp off the bar, so they could do what they wanted as far as I was concerned.

Having eaten our fill, we headed back to Rhonda's place. After a brief visit and cuddle with her adoring dog (Keebah, Keba, Keeber, Kieba, however the hell you spell that lesbian dog name), I headed home to turn in. Tomorrow is Friday!! And next week is a short week!! And then we leave for four days of frolic at Frolicon!! Woo-hoo!! What a happy boy I am.

No comments: