Thursday, November 25, 2010

A post in which it is a Happy Thanksgiving

But a long day nonetheless.

I awoke to the smell of boiling chicken. Mom was making stock for the gravy. We had coffee and a light breakfast - Mom had made two large loaves of pumpkin bread. We were supposed to eat at 1pm, but I put a protein base on my stomach just in case. We all got ready, packed up the stuff, and headed for Lisa’s house, getting there right at 11am, our proscribed arrival time. Carl was there, but he and Cole had just woken up. Lisa had put some monkey bread out, and we all picked at it. Ava was going hell-bent-for-leather as usual. Since the guys weren’t awake yet, and Lisa and Mom were both busy, Ava honed in on me as her buddy. We played, I read her a story (surprisingly about monster trucks), and watched the Macy’s parade.

Dad and Eve were surprisingly late getting there, but we ended not eating until about 2pm anyway, so it didn’t matter. We all ate like hogs. It was the biggest meal I’ve eaten in I can’t remember when. Lisa had gone to a lot of trouble to go out and dig up Quorn breast-like pieces for me to eat. Although they were excellent, I was sorry to put her to the trouble.

The day had turned off surprisingly warm, and since they had already turned the air off for the season, and since Lisa had been baking since 6am, the house was quite warm. After lunch we all adjourned to the living room. I ended up dropping off for a nap, as did Dad and Rod.

Eve was having problems with her legs, and Dad took her on home about 4 or so. Reagan (one of Carl’s other daughters) was there. We were waiting for Lisa’s other step-daughter, husband, and kids to arrive. They did, and we had pie while they ate. Mom made four (!!) pumpkin pies, but we ate one, and left one for Cole, so that left only two for us. Wow. Carl and Lisa’s son-in-law, Joey, has gotten exponentially hotter in the last year. He was just a little piece of heaven right here on earth. I tried not to be the creepy gay guy, but man he looked good! I'm thinking it's really been way too long since I had a date.

The kids were a bit of an issue. They have three (I thought really, I would have all the kids this man wanted, but I digress). Ava is used to being not only the only child, but the center of attention at all times. I don’t think it helps that their little girl is very pretty, and has long, thick hair. Ava, bless her, still doesn’t have much hair. She started to pitch a fit that the other kids were playing with her toys. They were able to pacify her – just; but as much as I love her, she kind of showed her ass. She really needs to be around other children more than she is.

Eventually, we headed back to Mom’s place. She had left a chicken in the crock pot (more food) because she wasn’t going to bring turkey home. She boned that and we had a sandwich after basically lying around worthlessly for a while.

It was a nice Thanksgiving.

No comments: