Sunday, November 14, 2010

A post in which I am unadvisably seduced

And no, not in the way you're thinking, unfortunately.

Russ and I had made plans to go to the flea market this morning, but frankly I was worried about time. I was supposed to be at their place at 3pm for the Sunday dinner, and I had four chicken pies and a meatloaf to make today.

I had just decided to let Russ sleep and get to work with Justin called. I invited him over for tea and raisin toast since I hardly see him any longer. I greatly enjoyed the visit, but just as I began to clear away, Russ called. He was up and raring to go. He told me that we wouldn't be there so long today, and that I could come later this afternoon. Since I wanted to go anyway, it wasn't hard to talk me into going.

We had a really great time at the flea market today. The weather was beautiful and it was just nice to be with Russ and Billy. I haven't seen much of them lately, and we're heading into the holiday rush. They'll be gone so much that I'll barely see them in December, although they will of course be at my Kindred indoctrination (provided I get the cookbook finished). We had a great time, but got back to their place about 1pm.

I ran through the grocery store for pie shells (getting verbally assaulted by a mean ole man in the parking lot in the process) and headed home to start cooking. I was in a frenzy of cooking when James called to find out where I was. At 3:30. Of course it was Russ, just yanking my chain, but I fell for it as I so frequently do. That man just loves to torment me.

By this point I realized there was no way I could get the meatloaf done today. I threw the pies together, negotiated the vagaries of roll out pie crust, cleaned up the kitchen, did the cat chores, jumped in the shower, and got to Russ and Billy's by about 5pm with pies still hot from the oven; which I frankly thought was pretty freakin impressive all things considered. I was paranoid about the gravy, which didn't taste right when I tried it on the stove, but by the time I got there the flavors had married, and it was quite good actually. I had many praises, which of course I relished. Billy made his onion pie, which is delicious, and a beer and beef pie which I heard was pretty tasty too.

We ate pies, visited, laughed, and enjoyed each other's company. It was a lovely evening. Even if Amanda refused to eat any of my pie because it had fake chicken in it. James had seconds :)

No comments: