Sunday, November 21, 2010

A post in which I make an impromtu flea market trip

I had of course intended to clean house today, but I was just barely up when Jeff and James sent me a text. They were headed to the Barnyard flea market – at 7:30. All of the flea markets have moved from the traditional early hours, but none more so than Barnyard, which seems to cater to a brunch crowd. I threw on some pants and went to meet them, but when we got there most of the vendors had not yet set up. Since I hadn’t had breakfast we scampered over to Denny’s while we waited. I had an omelet with a heaping side of witty repartee from the boys. Today’s wasn’t as good as yesterday’s was, but then it was hardly a fair comparison.

We went back and did the flea market. I've been feeling surprisingly fancy-free because I didn't have to cook this weekend. I have left-over chicken pie I can eat for lunches next week since it's a short week. So I was relaxed and really enjoyed the trip.

I didn’t buy anything, surprisingly. Jeff and James picked up some cake for the dinner tonight, and we left the flea market with James contentedly hitting first me and then Jeff with the cakes. We said our farewells, and I went home to work on the house a bit, have a bit of a lie down, and get ready to come back to see them. I did finish putting boric acid down in the living room, dusting the floor I had just cleaned yesterday. At some point I have to do some cleaning - the whole gang is at my place on the 5th, and they can't come in with it looking the way it does now. But in my best Scarlett O'hara-esque fashion, I decided to worry about that another day.

Dinner tonight was gnocchi and salad. They had first intended to make the gnocchi from scratch, but later (rather sensibly, I thought) decided to just boil some. They did two different sauces, both of which were delicious. One was a sassy tomato sauce, and the other a rich Gorgonzola cream sauce – luscious. I brought mango-flavored cheerleader beer since I had forgotten to get them last week. We ate until we couldn’t move, and then played a game of 10,000. All too soon, it was time to go. I have a very busy week ahead, and really can’t afford to start it off tired.

No comments: