Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A post in which I head for Mom's

It was a fairly quiet day today. A lot of the office was gone, and it kind of reverted to the sleepy buzz that an office gets right before a holiday. It was a long day, but bearable. I am still ready for the time off.

Afterwards I scampered home (through town, highway 85 was of course a zoo), took care of the cat stuff, did a few last-minute things around the house, threw the bags in the car, ate a meatloaf sandwich (the last of it, thank goodness), and headed out. I was only home for an hour. I was very grateful that I didn't have to get on highway 85 to get to Mom's.

I made good time. I couldn't use the cruise control a lot, but compared to 85, 385/26 to Columbia was a breeze. I was at Mom's by about 8:30.

Mom immediately fed me her supper, which she had picked at and left to die. It manicotti from the Greek/Italian place near her house that I like so much, and I scarfed it down, unsure if it was as good as I thought or if I was just grateful to be eating something that wasn't meatloaf. Rod was there, and we cleaned the remainder of a freezer lemon chiffon pie out of the fridge while we were at it. Fridge space was at a premium, since Mom was not only making a lot of stuff to take tomorrow, but was making double batches of a lot of it "so we would have something here to eat on here". Let the stuffing commence.

We ended up chatting and companionably watching a marathon of Full Throttle Saloon, the reality show about a big biker bar in Sturgis, SD until bedtime.

No comments: