Friday, June 5, 2009

A post in which there is much to do

I didn't sleep well last night, which is usual when things are going wrong.

I got up with M and got him off to work, and then ate some brekkie and lay back down to see if I could make up a bit of rest.

When I got up, there were many things to do. I called the Edge since I hadn't heard from them, but was unable to get our cabin back. Great. That meant tent camping. Less expensive, but it meant more packing, and sleeping on damp sheets, since the forecast called for more rain today.

I started my second chocolate pound cake. The first one had been pretty much a disaster. It cooked out into the oven and the bottom scorched. I cut the scorched part off and set it aside to see what #2 would do. Since the first one had risen so high, I cut the leavening in half for this one. It still cooked out, but not as much. It turned out OK. At least it wasn't burned. The bits I ate off the sides tasted good, and it looked OK. I decided to take that one to Eve and Dad, and cut up the other one to freeze. When I tasted it I was really glad I hadn't taken it. It had so much leavening in it it tasted like Devil's food - not like a pound cake at all. That's what I get for trying to break in a new recipe to take somewhere - especially when I'm upset. I can't bake at all when I 'm upset. I realized when I put the second one in today that I'd had the oven set wrong yesterday, which is why that one scorched.

While the cake cooled, I ate some lunch and started getting stuff together for the trip. The Edge called and offered us another cabin, which I jumped at - happily. I saw to the cats and started loading the car. I got cleaned up and took the cake over to Eve at the house. I talked to her for a while. She needed someone to talk to. She doesn't have a lot of friends, and she talks to Dad so much he doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to her a lot of the time.

I cut the visit off though, because I wanted to get home and get everything done before M got to the house. We started talking back and forth and texting about arrangements on the way home. By the time I got back, Terry was at the house. He's having a weekend here while we're gone. I went over things with him, talked to him a bit, and finished up prep stuff. I made sandwiches for lunch tomorrow and did last minute stuff. When M got t the house, he loaded his clothes and after a brief stop for ice and some snacks he wanted we hit the road.

It felt good to be getting away. It felt good to be on a trip with M. When we got to GA and started smelling the chicken houses, I started relaxing. It was a nice drive down, and we stopped for dinner at the Taco Hell as per my tradition.

When we got to the camp ground and checked in, I found out two things. First was that Al and Mike had not only checked in, but were in the cabin next door to the one we were in. We just couldn't have planned that, it had to be serendipitous fate. Second was that there was a big party at our place that night, co-hosted by two cabins close by. I was not thrilled about that, but at least we wouldn't have to go some place for the party.

We got to our cabin, greeted a very surprised Mike and Al (I had emailed them earlier to tell them we weren't coming). Brian and his boyfriend Scott were there too. I had forgotten meeting Scott last year, which was kind of embarrassing. I like Scott, and think he's really cute too. M and I got our stuff unloaded and arranged. The party started at 9. Since it was in our area, we had a bird's eye view. We relaxed on camp chairs on our porch, and just kind of let things unfold. Fridays everyone is anxious to get some fun in after a long week. It was a meet-and-greet kind of atmosphere. I didn't know how M would react to being there with me. He had already told me that he is jealous and kind of possessive, and that is not a good mix with me, especially at the Edge, but it was fine. I was laid back, not really in party mode anyway. He dealt with one over-enthusiastic guy who went a step beyond the River's Edge handshake with me in a fairly cool fashion.

By the time the party started getting wild, I think M wanted to show off a bit. He took me in the cabin, and proceeded to motivate me to make some noise, which I happily did. When we came out, I think he expected that we would have garnered some attention, but the music was loud enough that not many people noticed that we had disappeared. Plus there was some wildness going on at Al and Mike's cabin with a new friend, and their blinds were open. Most of the people were watching what was going on with them.

At that point, the combination of this week, all I had done today, the several beers I drank, and the happy play with M kind of all crashed in on me, and I was very tired. Happy, but very tired. We got ready and went on to bed with the party still going on outside. They thoughtfully turned the music down a bit (loud music isn't allowed after a certain time), and by that time guys had started drifting off in twos and threes anyway.

I drifted happily off to sleep at the start of another fun weekend at the Edge.

No comments: