Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A post in which I get bad news about BB

When I got out to the car this morning, I realized that I had left my phone in the car overnight. There was a missed call from Dad’s number.

I got to work and Eve called to tell me that they moved BB to hospice yesterday. She’s off all of her meds except stuff to keep her comfortable. She could hang in there for a week, or she could go today. At least they have her in a nice place. Eve says the hospice is beautiful and peaceful. I’m glad they have her in a nice place for this time.

I talked to Lisa, and she is coming up with Cole tomorrow, so I’m going to ride up with them. I cleared everything with my boss, and spent the rest of the day trying to work ahead so I could be out later in the week if I needed to. I‘m thinking I’ll go on up with Lisa tomorrow, and then go on out of town with M this weekend for his birthday. Eve says that BB is sleeping most of the time anyway. I’m glad they have her on meds that keep her from feeling breathless. She has been worried about smothering to death; it’s been so hard for her to get her breath. She is much more comfortable now.

Paul called and I talked to him about what's going on. He asked if I thought BB would like to see Cindy, and I said of course she would. I really hope Cindy goes to see her before she passes. It would mean a lot to her. It would mean a lot to Eve and Dad too, I think. If she doesn't, I'm afraid that could be one more element of an increasingly hardening schism.

I thought that I was OK with this. Eve had been trying to plan the funeral luncheon when I talked to her on Saturday, after all. But it all kind of became real this morning after I talked to Eve, and I went on into the cafeteria to see Anna. She was very sweet, as always, and insisted I eat a brownie this afternoon. She was so nice about it I couldn’t refuse.

M is being a total angel about everything. We were supposed to go to Russ and Ben’s birthday dinner tonight, but I didn’t think I would feel up to it. I didn’t want to be a drag on the party, so I cancelled. M insisted on bringing dinner to the house and taking care of everything.

I worked out after work to kind of try to clear my head. I have a lot going on right now.

When I got home, the air conditioner had died. Apparently for real this time. I called Eve and got a number for Dad’s air guy, and left a message for him. Thank goodness it hasn’t gotten really hot yet, and it still cools off at night. M was really nice about the whole thing.

He brought in dinner, and insisted on waiting on me. We just talked of other things, chatting about our days and stuff. We got ready for work tomorrow. He decided he wanted ice cream, so we went downtown for it and walked around a bit. It was really nice, and it was a beautiful night to be outside.

We came home and went to bed with the windows open and the fan going. But it wasn’t too hot. And I was sleeping next to the sweetest boy in the world, so what do I have to complain about, right?

No comments: