Saturday, June 20, 2009

A post in which my house becomes Drama Central

When I woke up this morning, I really didn't have any idea what I wanted to do today. I really didn't want to do anything. Terry hadn't even woken me up when he left for work this morning, and I usually get up and talk to him a bit.

I lay in bed for a while, messed about on the computer for few minutes, and the phone rang. Russ was calling on the house phone to check on me. I had gone to bed with my cell phone on vibrate last night, and hadn't been able to hear anyone calling. I called Miss Kat and dana, who were worried, and they invited me over. If I had stayed home, I had planned to try to get motivated enough to do some house stuff; but given the choice of spending time with Miss Kat and dana or cleaning house there was pretty much no contest. So I went.

I hadn’t eaten anything this morning, which wasn’t smart, but then I hadn’t been up that long either. It turned out fine. Miss Kat made eggs and cheese grits. I ended up being over there for about five hours, visiting, smoking, and talking. I ran out of cigarettes. Eventually it became obvious that we were all ready to lie down for a while, so I left and went on home.

When I walked out to the car, the heat literally almost took my breath. It was supposed to get up to 100 today. At 3pm, it was 102 according to my car. I got home, detouring around all the fallen trees in their neighborhood from the storms last week. Miss Kat and dana didn’t have power back until Friday night.

Today ushered in the phase of 'Eating Things Which Are Very Very Bad For Me', so I stopped on the way home and bought a bunch of chips and junk, which I ate for lunch. After that I moved to the bedroom, put in Sense and Sensibility, and just laid up for a time. I napped a bit, watched the movie, and just vegged. I put the Basil Rathbone movies away. I know I won’t be watching them for a while.

I got up and messed around on the computer for a bit. I decided to change the sheets. I was still sleeping on the ones we had been on Wednesday night. I decided M hadn't been around long enough to merit an official 'Ritual Cleansing Of The Bedroom', but I certainly needed to wash those sheets, which I did. I did a bit of laundry. I cleaned up the kitchen. There were other things that needed to be done, but I knew I wasn’t going to do them tonight. Had I sat at home tonight, I would have just sat around and felt bad. So I called Billy and Russ to see what they were doing.

Turns out they were having a game night with some friends, and invited me over. We played a phonetics game that was pretty cool. I had some cookies and ice cream for supper. My stomach was hurting, and I knew I was about done with the junk food phase. I was really glad I got small bags of chips and stuff today so there wasn’t a bunch of crap left in the house – I would have eaten it.

I got home around midnight, crept past a sleeping Terry, took my pills, and logged on to the computer for a mo to check my messages. I was actually chatting a bit with a nice guy on Manhunt. And then the real drama started.

The next thing I knew, Terry was standing behind me, saying "Well it must be in the fucking air or something." John had called earlier tonight and told him not to come to Washington. In the face of a real crisis, I got some perspective on my crap. Terry has sold everything he owns, given up the place they were living, and has been sending John money - a good bit of money - towards getting an apartment, utilities turned on, etc. This is also not the first time John has done this to Terry. I frankly never did understand why he went back to the guy. He isn't that nice looking, he isn't self supporting, and a lot of the time they were together here he wasn't even working. I know you can't help whom you love, but I never have understood the attraction.

I finished up online and went in to talk to Terry, who had worked himself up to make a phone call and cuss John out. Which he did. Afterwards, he was like "I need a drink." Well I know how to do this part. I went in the kitchen and got out the vodka. He poured a half a glass straight up, and downed it. He then explained that he had taken 4 Xanex before he went to bed. Within about 20 minutes, he was fairly incoherent. He had called his friend Saundra to come and get him because he wanted to indulge in other substances that I won't allow in my house.

I had already taken a sleeping pill, and it was kicking in. He told me to go lie down, but he became progressively more agitated. He was vacillating between cursing and crying, and in between was walking all over the house, tripping, falling over things, staggering around, and generally just acting a fool. I was afraid he was going to hurt himself, one of the cats, or tear something up. I eventually just had to get up and sit with him to wait for Saundra.

She called the house to get directions, and then Terry decided he was just going to go "drive to the corner to meet her." At this I had to put my foot down. He couldn't even stand up, much less drive. I got him calmed down a bit, grabbed the phone, and gave Saundra the directions.

We eventually got him poured in to her car. I had to basically carry him down my porch steps to make sure he didn't fall and kill himself or something. He kept trying to get back out to get to his car. Fortunately he couldn't find his keys, which I had picked up and packed with his things. This conversation got loud, and it was 2:30am in the morning. I felt embarrassed for my neighbors to hear this, but eventually we got him quieted down and they left.

I went back in the house, collapsed with relief, and went to sleep.

No comments: