Monday, June 29, 2009

A post in which I spend the evening on the phone*

The day started out nicely with a visit from a buddy :)

I have official word from Big Red that I have PMS. I have been out-of-sorts and grouchy all day today for no good reason, and nothing has suited me. She’s a mental health professional, she should know.

I did at least work out after work.

After that I went by the grocery store for the ubiquitous salad greens. I got some spinach too. I was thinking about doing some spinach pasta, but now I’m not sure. I really want to play in the chimichurri this week, and so I’ve also been thinking about a pasta salad dressed with it. But I hate washing and cleaning the stems out of fresh herbs.

When I got home I had to make some calls. I talked to a guy on Bear411 this week, and we had made a date for dinner. When we then talked on the phone though, he told me he was 19 years old. He said he liked older guys, and gets tired of guys telling him he’s too young for them. I had been doing some thinking about this, and decided to call Justin to get his perspective on the situation. He is very sensitive to age-discrimination stuff. I just couldn’t get past the fact that when I went out for my first mixed drink, this guy wasn’t even born yet! Plus I was thinking about what it would be like for me to go out with a 60 year old, which would be the same age difference. I couldn’t really see me having anything in common with the guy, and God forbid what if I did? I couldn’t imagine meeting this guy’s parents, who would be closer to my age than he would. Basically, this just didn’t feel right, and I just couldn’t wrap my head around it. After talking to Justin, and him giving me down the road about it in addition to my own misgivings, I decided I just couldn’t go through with it.

So I’m violating my new rule about not eliminating guys before I go out with them. Plus I have to call the guy and cancel the date. Of course, since the guy in 19, he thinks he’s an adult, and just doesn’t understand my problem with this situation. Because after all, at 19 age is just a number. He was ticked off, and didn’t particularly hide it, but overall I didn’t get as much attitude as I was expecting. I was informed that he was used to this and that it was my loss. Which is about what I should have expected I guess. I was relieved to have that unpleasant duty behind me.

I had put a load of laundry in earlier. When I got off the phone I started cooking. I had some mushrooms in the fridge that needed to be used, and I had planned to make a quiche out of them. I made Billy Mushrooms to put in the quiche. I got the quiche in the oven, and had time to make a salad and eat before I called Big Red.

I had another follow-up to do with Her tonight after our scene at SELF. It was a good call, and we talked about a lot of stuff. I ended up being on the phone with Her for about an hour. She patiently listened to the M breakup story; bless Her, even though I know she listens to people’s problems all day. We then had a nice talk about the scene at SELF, and spent some time talking about recipes and food as well. That’s always interesting to me. By the time we wrapped up, my quiche was cool enough to eat and I was hungry again; so I had a piece, tended to my laundry, cleaned up the kitchen, and went to bed.

2 comments:

JLo said...

All I did was suggest that the least you could do was take the boy to McDonald's, get him a Happy Meal, and let him play in the Play Place. That way, even if you aren't going to go out with him again, he at least got a fun toy with his meal.

That's all I said.

thefabulousmrthing said...

And that was quite enough, thank you.