Friday, January 16, 2009

A productive but expensive day

Since I had to take the cat food and water up before I went to bed last night (Crooner couldn't eat or drink after Midnight), Jinx spent a good portion of the night dancing the Watusi on my back in stiletto claws. Every time I got up, she would run to the cat bowl place, and look at me like "EXCUSE me - there's no FOOD out here!" I had to be up early to drop Crooner at the vet and get to work on time anyway.

I got to work to find that a) my boss has already left the office until next Friday; and b) he didn't clean out his in-box before he left, so rushing to get those write-offs in yesterday was a waste of stress. Oh well. I had a fairly relaxed day today. It's always a lot more quiet when he's on the road.

After work I picked Crooner up and paid the ($280!!) bill, declining to have a biopsy done on the growth they took out of his mouth. I just can't do it right now. I figure for $280 he should have come back looking like the fucking Cheshire Cat, but he just looked like Crooner. Except he wouldn't speak to me. He spent the evening hiding under the bed. I can't say that I blame him. He had been anesthetized, had the teeth cleaned, the gums scraped, a growth removed, and been micro-chipped. It was a rough day for him.

I stopped after getting him and picked up a pizza on the way home. I'm broke, but there was just no way I was eating leftovers on a Friday night.

I got home to find the yard looking pretty good. For my yard. Rick and JB did really nice work, and had cleaned up all the brush. There's only one tree left for them to take down. So yes, $600 is a big chunk of change, but it really needed to be done. That is one less thing I have to worry about. I paid them half the money I owe, and talked and smoked with them for a bit before they left. They are both really nice guys.

I clicked on TCM, watched the end of Watch on the Rhine, and let Bette Davis rip my heart out again over dinner. After that, The Children's Hour came on. I had never seen that one, and wanted to especially since it is so important a movie for gay people. The movie was very good, and it was one of the best things I've seen Shirley McClain do. Audrey Hepburn of course ripped my heart out again with those big doe eyes. James Garner was pretty good too.

I was particularly surprised with how much young Shirley McClain favors Renee Zellweger. The resemblance was just striking. They say that all good-looking people look very similar, or conform more closely to the standard. I guess it's true.

So the movies were very good, but tragic. Feeling that my cinema creds had been bolstered, I went on to bed.

3 comments:

Ms. Red said...

I had never thought about the resemblance between the two... but you are very right. But Hollywood aristocracy is very similar to the European aristocracy. They are all inbred. If you look at a lot of the big stars they all had family who were there before them.

Rhen said...

Poor Crooner. Give him extra sweet lovings from me, Steve. :-)

thefabulousmrthing said...

If you'll just wear something nice and dark that he can get cat hairs on the next time you come over, that will be loving enough. He doesn't want to have much to do with me right now.