Thursday, January 29, 2009

A post in which I see an old friend, VD is dreaded, and I receive sad news

I had lunch with Kimberly today. I hadn't seen her in so long. We used to get together with some old co-workers once a month, but one woman's daughter showed her ass, so we got out of the habit of it. It was that woman that always sparked the monthly get-together. Kim and I used to be really close. She has spent Christmas at the house with Dick, Eve, and the gang back when everyone was still speaking to each other. I have met her parents too,and helped her move twice. I used to do laundry at her house when I lived on Earl St, and she did my wash for too long after I moved into my new house. We spent a lot of time together back in the day. She went to Hendersonville and Asheville with me to indulge my glass obsession when I first started collecting. She's a good friend.

We kind of caught up on each other's lives, what has been going on, etc. Of course I was doing most of the talking (act surprised). She's married now to a really nice guy who has been good for her, and has a very important job where she travels a lot. We've both come a long way since we met, but I guess that's the way life goes. It was really great to see her.

Mom called today. She's bringing her posse to Greenville to see a play on Valentine's Day. Those of you who are regular readers know that I face VD with the enthusiasm which most reserve to greet stubborn tile grout mildew. But it's upon us again. At least I have something to do this year. With Mom and her friends coming I figured I would just have a girl's night out and no harm no foul. For some reason, it didn't register that they were all going to be with their sweet babboos, since they are all paired up now. So we were going to be 9, with me as the odd one out. As usual. I really just couldn't bear the thoughts of it.

I ran through people in my mind with a) no sweet babboo; b) hopefully no plans; c) enough self-esteem not to be offended or depressed by my assumption that they might be free; and d) enough affection for me to be subjected to this (I enjoy my Mom's friends, but not every person relishes the prospect of dinner with the Hot Flash Posse, and on VD no less). I could come up with only one name. Justin. I called him and begged him to go with me. Luckily, he hadn't made other plans, and agreed. God Bless Justin. I am most thankful for him and his acquiescence. I think having to sit at a table with four geriatric couples who all managed to hook up while I am still dateless might well have been more than my fragile psyche could bear. Justin's sweet babboo (conveniently enough for me) is in California training to be deployed overseas. So that worked out.

I called around and ended up getting reservations at Travinia. Early. They are taking in a show after dinner. I begged off of the Buddy Holly look-alike show. Glad they're going to enjoy that, but no thanks. I do like seeing Mom and the gals, but since they are bringing the menfolk, I guess they'll be doing couple stuff. It is VD weekend, after all.

Jay comes tomorrow night, and I'm looking forward to that. I really like him. I am way pissed that his ex made him move to Atlanta before they broke up. I could spend some serious time with him, but of course now that he's in Atlanta he won't even think about moving back. Still, I really enjoy seeing him when he comes to town.

There was jack nothing on TV tonight. Even TCM was running a Woody Allen (bleah) film festival. I suppose that's the kind of thing I should like, but I have never cared for his movies. The endless chatter about and parade of neuroses makes me just want to snatch that man up, shake him good, and slap him a few times. So I got on line to chat for a bit.

I was talking on Bear411 when I heard from Billy. He and Russ have at last come to the place where they can let poor little Oliver go. Oliver was a rescue Pomeranian that Russ and Billy got for a friend and agreed to board for a bit. By the time the friend was ready to take him, Russ had fallen in love with him and couldn't let him go. He is a funny little dog. He has a lot of health problems (most likely from being in-bred), but there is nothing wrong with his brain. He has them both wrapped around his little paw. But his health has been steadily declining for the last year or so, and he's in pretty bad shape now. He has problems walking, and breathing, he has an enlarged heart, and congestive heart failure. He is a sweet little dog, but it's just time to let him go. Still, they are going to be devastated. I'll be spending Saturday afternoon and evening doing whatever they need to help them feel better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geriatric? Hot flash posse? Your momma is gonna kill you, if she reads that lol BTW Don't you just hate Kim-Kim lol She is getting more beautiful every year!!Time is being wonderful to her ....and all that self-confidence ,I just want to smack her lol Gotta love her,but damn....... shouldn't she be getting old too?lol As to that VD thing .........at least there isn't a swab test, for this kind, even if it does suck.I may come join ya'll lol The BFs prolly working.I'm sure I could work up a hot flash if need be, lol ,all my women friends my age are having them( and some of the guys lol).Hard to believe ,but even Rhonda is there now,somehow she always seems like shes 25 to me . Love to the guys ....I know they hurting.We both do and I could just cry for them.On a lighter note ,You have to come meet our new baby "Miss Sweetie".She is 9 weeks old,chow/husky mix and a holy handful.Absolutly beautiful and sweet as pie. If the guys are okay and you find your wonderful self free ,give me a yell, Joes working tonight and Im off at 4 love ya M&J