Monday, January 19, 2009

A fairly relaxed Monday

My boss is out of town until Friday. That always keys things down a bit. I was up at 5:00, surprisingly, since I had been up a bit late at the game last night. I had coffee and cigs on the porch in the absolute peace of early morning.

When I got to work, I just didn't feel like doing anything. But of course there were things that had to be done. I didn't do much, though, that didn't have to be done.

This afternoon everyone was all geared up about the snow we're supposed to maybe be getting, but I didn't smell it when I left. I did go by the grocery store, but I went by the Publix downtown to get enchilada sauce. Fortunately I had already gotten my bread and milk yesterday. I was trying to decide what to eat for supper. I have some Mexican veggies in the fridge, but I've decided to make them into enchilada casserole. I didn't really want fast food. I was really craving a Caesar salad, and they had the kits on sale for $1.49. You just can't beat that.

They had a "racial triumph" marathon on TCM last night, and I caught the end of A Patch of Blue. I read the book in high school without ever having heard of it before, and it blew me away. I love Sidney Poitier in the movie. Shelly Winters was great too. After that I saw The History Channel was running their "The Presidents" shows in honor of the inauguration. I was hoping they were running them all in a marathon, which they do sometimes, but they stopped them at 9pm to air a tour of the White House with Laura Bush. It was interesting, but I had to turn it off because I needed to go to sleep. I was feeling croupy in my chest today, and hoping that I was just hoarse after yelling at the game yesterday, but I could use some rest either way.

Crooner has done an about-face for some reason. I don't know if he's figured out that I came to get him from the vets or what, but he's decided he loves me more than ever now. He was all snuggling on the couch tonight, and got in the bed with me too. We went to sleep with him purring. Of course that could just be the allure of flannel sheets in chilly weather. He doesn't have the stank breaf any more, I'm happy to report.

3 comments:

Ms. Red said...

I haven't figured out what is with milk and bread when it is supposed to snow. What are you supposed to do with just milk and bread. And why is it that those two item you just have to have? I just don't understand. I have been in the south for 28 years and I still just don't get it!

thefabulousmrthing said...

And you think I do? I have no idea. I just know when it snows you're supposed to buy milk and bread. I don't do it unless I need it anyway, but I know that's what you're supposed to do.

My theory is that with bread you can make sandwiches if the power goes out and you can't cook. And the girls at work tell me that if you have kids you are always running out of milk, so you need to get some.

Either that or you're supposed to indulge in some kind of milk-toast frenzy. Frankly, I can't see that one.

Ms. Red said...

As they said in White Christmas "Well it's not good but it's something"