Sunday, January 25, 2009

A post in which there is much shopping*

And even more talking of the shit.

Even though I was in relatively early last night, after spending the evening at Miss Kat's I was kind of drug out today. Even after sleeping half the day yesterday. I had partied out two nights in a row, and apparently I am getting too old for that stuff.

What finally propelled me out of bed today was that I wanted cinnamon buns. I hadn't gone to the grocery store last night as I had intended (on the way home from Miss Kat's - yeah right, that was gonna happen), so I got up and went to the BiLo. They had the exact same kind that James made. Cora was working this morning, so I got to make her laugh before I left. She's my favorite checker. I got home and popped them in the oven, and they just smelled like heaven, but mine weren't as good as James's. I cooked them too long, and you have to leave them a bit under-done and gooey for them to be really good. Live and learn. I really don't need to make these a regular part of my diet though. To go with them, I brewed up a cup of my new coffee. Hawaiian something-or-other that is supposed to be like Kona. It didn't make it. After tasting it, I know why it was on sale 2-for-1 at the BiLo. Anyway.

After the munching, I fooled around online for a bit and put a load of laundry in. I ended up going for a quick visit to see a friend, after which I was sleepy again. I was supposed to call Michael as soon as I got mobile today, but I decided I had to lie down for a bit before I could go anywhere. I lay down until about noon, then got up and ate some lunch. I still felt drug out. But I went ahead an called Michael, who was out industriously exercising. That made me feel even more like a slug.

We agreed that I would get cleaned up and head his way, and we'd do the thrift store loop through Easley, Anderson, and those places down there. I took a 5-hour energy and got in the shower. I hooked up the GPS and started out that way. Eventually, the 5-hour kicked in and I started to feel remotely human.

Sean went with us shopping, which was nice. I enjoy knowing that I'm not the biggest ho in the room occasionally. We first stopped off at Big Lots. Apparently it was my week for amusing brand names:

Well, for a lack of creativity, I thought this was precious. Who could resist "Good Time Precious" cookies?

We made the rounds, smoking and shooting the shit in the car in between. It's always good to see Michael and spend some time with him, and I like Sean too. He hasn't heard all our stories yet.

I found a Sharon cake plate at one Goodwill, and figured I had gotten my find for the day. I had kept meaning to pick one up at the flea market in December to put Miss Helen's pound cake on for her, and then ended up without one. I got it for $3.50, and book on it is $10. Once again, caveat here that it is crystal, and you practically can't give that away now. But it's pretty, has no chips, and I think it will be interesting to Miss Helen.


Sharon "Cabbage Rose" cake plate in crystal by Federal Glass Company, circa 1935-1939

But I wasn't done. I found a blue Bubble plate at the last Goodwill we went in. I initially thought it was the more rare $6 size, but it isn't. It's the $2.50 size, which is fine. I gave 90 cents for it. It was worth that just for the excitement of finding it there.

"Bubble" 6 3/4" bread and butter plate in Sapphire Blue by Anchor Hocking, circa 1934-1965.

It was a lovely day, and we had a very good time. After the shopping, we went by the house to pick up Joe, who had been studying all day. We all went out for Mexican at a place called Los Amigos that was very good. Then it was back to the house for more conversation. Every time I come over, Joe has stomach problems, so he ended up going upstairs to lie down, but he felt better after a while and came back down. For some reason, we got stuck on telling hospital stories last night, but we found it amusing. Apparently we are old enough now to start telling stories about our medical problems.

Eventually, it got to be that time. So I plugged in the GPS and toddled off home. It was a great weekend, but I didn't get much done as far as chores go. I guess they'll still be there when I get to them.

Next weekend the Steelers are in the Super Bowl!! WOOHOO!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOkay,After hours, and hours and hours and hours,of reading I am caught up.LOL I no longer feel the littlest bit guilty about it being so long between visits(even if seeing you, is pure laughter in my heart)over the hoildays,you were as busy or busier than we were.When did we grow up and get so damned complicated? Well life did anyway,lol. I realized last night seeing you and spending time with you makes me feel young and happy.(I am only 35 ,(SHUT UP)but sometimes I feel 36,but with you I'm 25.You have to be the most charming man I know,wicked, witty,funny as hell and best of all "just Steve". God I love you.Some day ,some lucky sum-bitch, will catch on and realize how blessed they would be to have you.In the meantime,We had great fun and want to set up more visits,If you disrobe, you'll be safe with Joe and I but no guarentees anywhere else LOL The day was fun, the food fabu and the waiters distracting,4 stars in my world. What do you think about the hubby, you and I, doing Biltmore this spring at a slower,less planned pace? Huggies and sparklies Michael and Joe. ps:btw the stomach issues are just Joe ,Not you. lol He overeats (don't we all) and stresses over everything lol just how he is.He loves you too!!!BTW

thefabulousmrthing said...

OK a) you shouldn't feel guilty about not having time to see me over the holidays - we both have plenty enough to do; b) I enjoyed getting to relax and look forward to spending that time rather than it being another entry on the calendar; c) I love you too baby.

I read (I think I told you) that the older you are (even if you're only 35), the more important it is to be around people who knew you when you were young. You don't age to them. And you don't age to me. Of course, I have never known your age anyway LOL

Anonymous said...

THIRTY-FIVE DAMMIT LOL