Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A pleasant evening

I watched part of the inauguration at lunch today on the big-screen TV and cried some. I am so profoundly glad that Barak Obama was sworn in with no mishaps. While I was trying to watch, people in the break room kept talking to me though, which was kind of distracting. One guy was asking me a bunch of questions, and another was making disparaging remarks about how much the inauguration was costing (because, yeah, really usually it' so cheap - I'm rolling my eyes now because I couldn't then). I saw the start of the progression down Pennsylvania Avenue, but I didn't get to see him get out and walk. I was really glad to hear that he did. To me, that is an example of courage to the whole nation. He has called on the nation to be courageous, and he's walking the walk. Literally. And good for him.

When I got off work tonight, I was going to go straight home and cook. I had planned to use some leftovers to make and enchilada casserole. But on the way home Billy called. He and Russ wanted to go for sushi, so I told them I'd meet them at Sushi-Masa for dinner. I hadn't seen them since the Solstice party on the 10th. Plus, I really didn't feel like going home. I felt like celebrating.

We met at the restaurant and ate and caught up. They were trying to talk me into going to the bear thing this weekend, but I don't think I'm going. The restaurant is very expensive, very noisy, and I don't think the food is all that good. Plus it's frequented by a bunch of young, hip, skinny people. The last time I was there I felt very uncomfortable and out of place. Afterwards they are all going to a play. It's a gay-themed play, and I guess I ought to go, but it's one of those tear-jerker ones that I just don't relish.

So I'm not going, but I'm going to feel guilty about it. But feeling guilty is a lot cheaper than going and not enjoying it. I just don't have the money for obligations right now, after spending all that money last week.

It was good to see Russ and Billy, and I enjoyed the visit.

By the time I got home, it time to go to bed. It's been so cold lately that all I want to do when I get home is go to bed!

1 comment:

Rhen said...

Don't feel guilty, Steve. I give you permission. :-)