Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lunch with Lisa

I had forgotten that Dick and Eve were keeping Ava this weekend. I remembered when Eve called me to ask for a good sushi place for Lisa and Carl to eat lunch. I got Lisa on the phone, and just told her to come on down to Sushi-Masa and have lunch with me. Which they did. I had forgotten that Carl's boyfriend (this guy from whom he is inseparable) and his wife Inga were coming with them for a weekend getaway to Asheville. We all had lunch, and the food was good as always. Lisa and I tag-teamed telling stories about when we were kids. It was a nice lunch, and good to see her.

It was also good to get out of the office for a while. Another high-stress day. Since my portfolio doubled this Fall, the cases are starting to cycle through now. Lots of documents to assemble, lots of affidavits to complete, and still my regular job to keep up with. I finally gave up on the last report my boss is wanting me to learn. I just can't figure it out on my own. I emailed him and told me he was going to have to train me a bit.

Because I wasted so much time on that, I don't have all the write-offs done yet. I was trying to have them all done before he got back. But it will be a week before he looks at them anyway. I've decided. I'm not begging him three times a day to finish them this month. He'll either do it or not. And if they don't get processed on month end, well then they don't. I'm not running the gamut of corporate red tape like OJ Simpson through an airport because he has procrastinated until the last minute yet again. I'm giving up ownership of that. I will do them if I can, but if I can't then I can't.

I called around before I left work and found tie back rings to go on the curtains, because I knew they had to be finished tonight. Terry called and said he wanted to come visit for a bit tonight. He found me hard at it when he got to the house. He's having a rough time. He has a MRSI (Medication Resistant Staph Infection) in his neck, and it's all swollen up like a goiter. If they can't get it to respond to strong antibiotics they're going to have to cut it out! We visited for a bit, but then I had to get back for work.

After much measuring and swearing, I got the valance seams in. That is the most important seam, because if it isn't right, the lines on the plaid won't match up. I finally got both seams in, and did a "test hang" of the curtains on a broomstick. They look pretty good. They're not perfect. But no one will ever look at them as closely as I have, and once they are up, hanging hides little mistakes. So I'm fairly pleased with them.

I sewed on the tie-back rings while watching more of The Presidents on The History Channel. They have already added a partial new chapter about Barak Obama. I thought that was pretty cool. That final job done, I folded them all up and got them ready to take with me tomorrow. I'm going to Spartanburg after work to hang them. I'm pretty stoked about that, actually. I love showing something you've sewn to someone who doesn't sew. It's like cooking for someone who doesn't cook. It's like magic to them. You have taken fabric and actually made something useful out of it. LOL

No comments: