Monday, January 26, 2009

A post in which I am surprisingly virtuous*



Well in one respect anyway.

I didn't go to the Chinese buffet.

But I did go see a buddy at lunch today.

I went to two grocery stores, getting the ingredients together to make stir-fry tomorrow. I had to go to the Asian market, since that is the only place in town that carries baby bok choy. They also had gorgeous and huge savoy cabbages. The ones at Publix were kind of weedy looking.

By the time I got home it was almost 7 and I was starving. I had actually thought I might go on and cook tonight, but reality intervened. I ate a salad and some cheese and crackers for dinner, with strawberries and chocolate sauce for dessert. Strawberries were on sale, and I had a bottle of chocolate sauce in the fridge that needed to be used up. I don't know how long it had been in there.

I changed the sheets, did a bit of laundry, and cooked my rice for tomorrow. I've decided to make fried rice instead of just a stir fry, and that is one of the main secrets to good fried rice that isn't gummy. Make sure your rice is thoroughly chilled. It changes the way the starch reacts or something.

While I was doing all this and cleaning up, I watched some lesbians get help with their chronically aggressive boxer on It's Me Or The Dog. Then Marty came on TCM. I had never seen it, but it really spoke to me. I could identify with Ernest Borgnine's chronically lonely character. He had plenty of friends, but no one special in his life. The movie also directly confronted the problems of being less than beautiful in a society that values appearance to excess. It was also interesting to me to see the cultural differences. He was under a lot of overt pressure to get married. I had heard about the pressure to conform in the 50's (the movie was released in 1955), but seeing it actually played out was enlightening. There is still plenty of pressure to pair up, but it's more covert now. The movie did have a happy ending though, which I liked. I finished cleaning up after the pity party, and went on to bed.

No comments: