Saturday, January 24, 2009

A post in which I persoinfy sloth

I woke up this morning at 10am. I can't remember the time I slept that late. I was worn out from not having slept Thursday night (I kept waking up thinking about hanging curtains) (I know, I need a life). Plus all the visiting Friday night. I dragged blearily out of bed, unable to resist the Call of the Glass. The non-existent glass, it seems. Had there been any, my rival collectors no doubt snatched it up before I got there at 10:30am, a real heiress hour for the flea market. I was so out of it I didn't buy any fruit or anything. And I have to cook something for lunches this week. I'm leaning towards a stir-fry, but I need some 5-spice powder to do what I want. I want to do a kind of vegetable chop suey.

Anyway, after I left, I had the beat of the Mexican base in my ears, which invokes a Pavlovian response that makes me have to have nachos. I went by the Mexican place near my house, but they weren't open yet. So I went on to the Chinese buffet, which amazingly WAS open at 11:10am.

After consuming enough to keep a Chinese family of five in sustenance for a week, I went back to the house and crashed. I watched some Family Guy, and went back to sleep. I woke up at 3PM!! That goes beyond heiress hours and just smacks right up against Marie Antoinette hours. Thank God I didn't have to give birth while a bunch of nobles watched.

I stirred and put in a load of laundry. I watched figure-skating and tried to purpose a bit. My old friend Michael S called and we made plans to go shopping tomorrow. That should be fun. I haven't seen him since before Christmas.

I had made plans to go to Miss Kat's tonight, so I had to start getting ready. I was supposed to eat before I came, but I ended up just grabbing a pizza on the way over there. They now use canned mushrooms at Little Caesars. The horror! I mean I know they need to save money, but let's not descend to the level of barbarians! It took me a half hour to get to Miss Kat's. The slow people were out in force, despite the fact that it was Saturday night. I stopped to get cigarettes, and there were like four people in line in front of me. All of whom were counting out handfuls of change to buy stuff. There was a pregnant girl in line behind me, so I let her in front of me. Then her baby daddy came in. Oh my heavenly GOD! He was BEAUTIFUL. And her such a plain, wan little thing. I was thinking "Girl, if I was you I'd have FIVE of his babies up in me. You have hit the lottery! Go home and be GOOD to that man. I would keep him DNA FREE!" But of course I couldn't say any of that. So I just stood there and drooled quietly until it was my turn.

So anyway, after leaving there, I ran by Little Caesar's to pick up my pizza. Of course there was a line. So I'm standing in line behind this rather average-looking little suburban housewife type, wearing her quilted mau-vay vest (circa 1986). At first I don't notice because of the light color of the vest, but then I hone in with horror. This woman's shoulders are covered in dandruff. I don't mean a few flakes. I'm talking the flea Aspen. I'm talking the snows of Kilimanjaro in miniature. My first thought was 'How long has she been wearing that jacket??' I mean how long does it take to get that much dandruff on something like that? Or does it like stick on there? I started to make myself sick, so I just had to think about something else. I moved, as usual when I'm waiting at this store, to contemplate the two RIP plaques they have hanging near the cash register, both for relatively young women. Were they gunned down in the course of robberies? Did they die of some sort of illness? It never seens appropriate to ask.

Miss Kat and dana have a new dog! Miss Kat was so distraught over losing Chase before Christmas. It did my heart good to see here with a new baby. And he is the sweetest thing. A boxer they rescued. He has a face like those alien things in The Fifth Element, but he is just the best natured dog ever. And he adores Miss Kat. He went to sleep at her feet. Of course for a dog from a neglect background, he has died and gone to heaven. dana treats dogs like people. And spoiled people at that.

Lori, Nicole, and Jim were there. We had a great visit, with much laughter, but things broke up pretty early. dana had worked and been up at 5:30am this morning. Plus they just keep earlier hours in general. I figured it wouldn't hurt me to rest up before my day out with Michael anyway. So I came home, emptied the refrigerator into my gullet, and went to bed. I had been meaning to watch the A&E version of Emma, so I put it in and drifted off to Edwardian dreamland. Where oh where is my Mr. Knightly?

No comments: