Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A post in which I once again avoid the temptation of the Chinese Buffet

So much for quiet days while my boss is out of town. Everyone was in an uproar today over a company we filed suit on that was affiliated with one our vendors. Not that we had any way to know this ahead of time, mind you. Oops. Vendors are like gold in the computer industry because to create their own scarcity and keep prices up, they limit production. That means that a) that laptop you paid $600 for probably costs them about $40 to produce; and b) they "award" supply of limited merchandise to vendors they like, or that bend over backwards to accommodate their sometimes ridiculous demands. (The computer industry is one of the few that still operates on a "supply-side" economic model. They have just elected not to produce all the market will bear.) So we had a real tempest in a teapot today, involving the CEO of our company, the CEO of their company, a law firm, our Canadian office, my boss (still off-site), and yours truly right in the middle of it. Joy.

And of course this would happen on a Wednesday, when I had reports to do as well.

By the time I got off work, I had a huge headache, and I was starving. I had brought a light lunch today as part of my attempts to watch what I eat more carefully. On the way home, I went right on over to the China Buffet on Congaree, the one with the addictive coconut shrimp. As I was pulling in though, I thought that a) I was going to erase any good I did at lunch today; b) I really didn't need to spend the money; c) I really didn't need the extra calories; d) I had fried rice at home in the fridge that I just killed myself making last night; e) I was going out to lunch with my friend Kimberly tomorrow anyway; and f) I had also bought salad to eat for dinner this week. No just regular salad, but extra-healthy gourmet salad from Publix with baby spring greens, walnuts, and blueberries. So I pulled out of the parking lot and went home.

What is it about Chinese food that drives me to distraction? Those coconut shrimp are just the sum of everything your body is programmed by evolution to desire: a symphony of fatty, salty crunch drenched with a decadent sweet and savory sauce. Same for sweet and sour whatever. And spring rolls. Exquisite little mouthfuls of tender-crisp vegetables with a hint of garlic, black pepper and five-spice, nestled in pillows of tender crispy wrapper. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

But I ate salad for dinner, with some cheese I needed to finish up on cheese toast, and a treat for dessert. I had those Anastasia Coconut Patties in the house. So I probably didn't save any calories (well not many anyway), but at least I didn't spend the money.

I was really worn out. All I really wanted to do was go to bed. I was nodding off while I was watching The Merry Widow (the 1952 version, with Lana Turner). I knew no housework was getting done tonight. I signed on to Bear411 and chatted a bit as I got ready for bed. I did get asked out by a guy who I met as Michael and I were breaking up. He was really nice to me at the time, but when I got to know him better afterwards, he was kind of a blow-hard. He has an incredible penis - one of the most beautiful I have ever seen in real life; but he's a top too, and with the abrasive personality on top of that, well, he's just not someone I want to go out with again. Not to date anyway. Plus he wanted to do something tonight, and I was just too tired to really think about that.

Justin called out of the blue, and I talked to him for a few minutes before we got interrupted by an incoming call on his end. I just went on to bed. I was bushed.

No comments: