Thursday, July 17, 2008

Well at work, they managed to schedule a training day, an all hands meeting, and the regular Wednesday meetings all on the same day. So I went to my boss and said "Excuse me.." He says he is counting on them moving the all hands meeting, and I was able to get the training re-scheduled. Meetings - the practical alternative to work!

After work I went to get my hair cut, and saw Russ. He told me about their trip to Seattle. I was expecting them to be ready to move there (as they usually are when they get back from a trip), but tellingly, they weren't. He told me about the trip, and frankly, it sounded like the vacation from hell to me; but he told me they had a good time in spite of all. I suspect they were really glad to be home though. They did bring me some smoked salmon, which was really nice of them. I already have bagels at the house, and am planning a breakfast feast for Saturday muahaha.

Their little dog Oliver, who has health problems, slipped a bit while they were gone and is not doing well. I hate to hear that because I know it's going to break Russ's heart when that little dog dies. Billy is really soft-hearted about animals too, but this dog is Russ's baby.

We talked about plans for the LOCK stuff this weekend, and Russ says he has everything ready to go. Unfortuantely, Billy won't be able to be there because he had to go on a business trip, which he was reportedly VERY unhappy about. I can't blame him. They had just gotten home. In better news though, Russ says Billy shouldn't have a problem finding a new job if this one goes away, so I'm not as worried as I was about them moving away.

I got a GOOD haircut. I look good. I did that "Silence of the Lambs" eval in the mirror when I got home - less the poodle, the drag, and the severe homicidal impulses of course.

After that, Russ had more appointments scheduled. He says he is still trying to get caught up from vacation. So no dinner out tonight with Russ, as I had hoped. I decided what the hell and went for nachos anyway. I thought the waiter at the Mexican place near my house might have been flirting with me, but that was probably just wishful thinking on my part. I probably shouldn't have spent the money, because I'm sure I'll be eating out with LOCK this weekend, and I have spent a ton of money in the last week. But I guess it will work itself out eventually. I have to say, paying $70-$80 for gas each pay period is starting to sting.

I finished Nobody's Princess last night. It was a pretty good read. I'll probably read the sequel eventually, but I'm going to read Miss Kat's book next so I can get it back to her. I chatted a bit on line before bed, and got a message from a new guy in Greenville. That's encouraging. I hope to hear more from him. Please let him have a brain.

I also downloaded a song I have been looking for for some time. Shelly Duvall singing "He's Large" from Popeye the Movie. I know, the movie was a bomb, but for some reason that song has always seemed very poignant to me. Olive Oyl is preparing to marry Bluto. She doesn't love him, but she feels she can't do any better. She's singing a song defending her choice to her catty bridesmaids, who are transparently relieved that they aren't the object of his affections; while at the same time, she's trying to convince herself she has made the right decision. The movie was buffoonish, I know, but some things ring true, however peripherally mired in silliness.

Oh, and I also loved the scene where Bluto comes upstairs, furious that Popeye is interfering with the wedding. When they show his viewpoint, the whole set has been done in red. All the characters are dressed in red, including a red dress with pink polka dots on one. For some reason I found that endlessly witty.

No comments: