Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Kitchen experiments


I got home a bit early today since I had been to the dentist this afternoon. Another $89. I am really tired of doing body maintenance right now. I have the *&^%$#!! lack of "sleep" study on August 8th, and then the follow-up visit for the results two weeks later. After that, I would really like to NOT have to see a doctor for a while. I'm about doctored out.

I have been working on using up the food I laid in while I was out, which is mostly just odds and ends at this point. I had a few potatoes left, and threw them into a blush bechamel sauce (that was more blush than bech by the time I got through with it) and baked them. I tried a Paremsan crust, but the fat rose to the top of the sauce, and just kind of browned the cheese without it really getting crusty. They turned out pretty tasty though; there was enough garlic in them to kill a small child. My theory at this point is that the three major starches (pasta, rice, and potatoes) are interchangable, so I'm trying switching them out in different recipes. I got the idea from the frequency that the same food combinations tend to show up in dishes from different contries. For example: bacon and eggs here and pasta carbonara in Italy, cream gravy here and bechamel in France, etc. I also baked some sweet potatoes that had been kicking around in the fridge, and heated up my leftover pizza at the same time.

After supper, I noted that The Simpsons had been pre-empted for some sports thing, so I went on and finished the second Dexter novel, which was really good. I hate that there are only 3 or 4 in the series. I have one more Esther Friesner to read, Nobody's Princess, and then I'll read the book that Miss Kat brought me while I was laid up. It's a series that I read some of years ago, but got burnt out on trying to find them in order.

I found Esther Friesner while I was reading a series of short stories called My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (tracking down another Charlanie Harris short story, of course). She has written a charming story set in Florida that reminded me of a good PG Wodehouse kind of crossed with the Archie McNally series from Lawrence Sanders. The story was very witty, and I was hoping her books would be of the same type, but they aren't. Still good reading though.

After cleaning up the kitchen (and laying my finger open on the fridge in the process, and then finishing while trying to keep blood off all the dishes), I signed on for a while and chatted on Bear411. I talked to Justin for a while, and chatted with a really sweet guy I talk to from Chattanooga sometimes. He is really cute, but he never seems to have much to talk about.

I was talking to Justin about being on waiting for the "bear of my dreams", and contemplating how much more earth-bound my dreams had become of late. I just don't seem to be able to meet anyone I have that much in common with. Conversation is the key to my heart at this point. It would be nice to have someone who was a friend, and could make me laugh. Of course a trick pelvis and tongue insured by Lloyd's of London would be great, but I'd really like a bit more at this point. And then when you mix in financially self-supporting, it just seems like I'm asking for the moon. Oh well. I have the cats and the rocker already.

We talked about the LOCK function this weekend. There is a play party afterwards - Yay! It will be great to see everyone. I'm going to ask Russ Thursday when people are coming into town. Mabye I can help out and visit Friday night. That is just what I need for this blue funk I've been in lately - a good dose of LOCK folks. And maybe a whoopin... Miss Shay is suppose to be here... Food for thought as well as in the oven tonight.

No comments: