Sunday, April 14, 2013

A post in which it is the Hat Party

I slept poorly last night, and ended up getting up in the middle of the night to eat (!!) again (!!) because for some reason my stomach refused to sleep anymore without still more food.

I woke up at a pretty reasonable time.  Then I started to move.  Oy.  I had a LOT of stuff to do today, because I had spent all day in the yard, or in recovery, yesterday.  And I had to do it gingerly, because my back was killing me.

So I stripped the bed and started doing laundry.  I made myself some breakfast and cleaned up.  I looked for recipes to use red wine, and didn't find anything I liked the sound of (red wine is usually used in recipes paired with beef, which of course don't suit).  I brushed my teeth, put the DVDs in the car to return, loaded the recycling, and headed out.

I dropped the DVDs at the library, took the recycling, and headed for the grocery store. 

I then returned home, changed out the laundry, and started cooking.  I put insane amounts of red wine in my spaghetti sauce, partially because I threw in the left-over tomato paste from last week's mushroom bourguignon recipe, which really thickened it up.  Since I had so much wine, I just thinned it out with wine.  That sauce turned out freakin' fantastic.  I was very surprised, but pleased.  It was one of those happy kitchen accidents.

So I ate a bit of lunch, packed up all the spaghetti for lunches this week, packed a bag for the party, cleaned up the kitchen, changed out laundry again, got in touch with the guys, and started getting cleaned up. 

Billy sent me a text at 2 fucking:20pm to ditch on a party that started at 3pm.  Not.  Happy.  This is just a continuance of their pushing me aside.  Like them inviting all their new young friends over and not inviting me, as they seem to constantly be doing.  Like going out party-hopping last night without asking me to go with them.  My head immediately started tallying a list recent slights.  I know that Logan made the decision about their not going today.  But then I calmed down.  I wasn't invited to the parties they attended last night (although that never made a difference in the past).  The lack of planning anything ever is what's making me nuts.  I know that RBL love me.  I guess it's natural that an old toy doesn't have the same draw as all their new, brighter, shinier friends.  They keep later hours than I do.  They have different interests.  And I really came into their place cross to fix them dinner the other week, which was something I was doing to be nice.  I really didn't do much that evening to lure them into wanting to spend more time with me.  I know that things have changed, and they don't have the time to spend with me that they did pre-Logan.  So I get it.  But that doesn't make it hurt any less.

On the other hand, today they were completely dismissive and downright rude.  I really had good reason to be pissed with them.  And just because you are pissed off at someone it doesn't mean you don't love them.  But.  They have done tons of nice things for me through the years, and we're going to the beach together in two weeks.  I'll probably get to spend some good time with them then, and I won't have the trip spoilt because my feelings were hurt today.  But they definitely cashed in some goodwill. 

So I gave myself a talking-to, and headed for the party.  I wasn't in a great mood, but I went to this party for years before they went with me, and I guess I can go by myself today.  I always have a good time once I get there. 

And I did.

Donnie was home sick, sadly, missing his first Hat Party in years.  But Nicole was there, as were Kimbley and Laura, and it's always good to see them.  Dan'l was ensconced on the porch with two of his guests that I care less for most of the party, so I didn't talk to him much.  But Eddie Crane was there, and he had brought one of his divine pound cakes (mine can't hold a candle to his, seriously).  Dan'l had made some of his gorgeously delicious deviled eggs, and Jim made his incomparable salmon.  There was some kind of South American pie/cookie/pastry thing that was stuffed with cream cheese and guava paste - it was divoon.  I proceeded to eat my way just almost to the edge of illness. 

There was a good theme this year (The Nightmare Before Christmas), which most people at least partially ignored and just made Christmas hats.  Turnout was a bit low this year, partially due to the weather, I'm sure, and possibly partly because two of the guests are a professional florist and his lover, and so the contest has rather become a 'contest'.  They both show up with such huge elaborate hats every year that there is almost no contest anymore. 

Dan'l won his third Most Flawless this year (finally - I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was rather relieved.  Regular readers will know that I think it is most inappropriate to compete with one's guests for prizes at one's own party.), and one of the florists took Most Original.  One of my favorite guests took Funniest, and I was really glad she did.  Her hat was really cute, clever, and funny; and I don't think she had won before.  So that was great. 

But it was getting cooler and starting to rain a bit.  And I had a splitting headache.  I had intended to leave around 6pm, but had actually lingered, talking with Nicole, Kimbely, and Laura until about 7:30, at which point I said my goodbyes and thank yous to my hosts (the party itself is really lovely, and they go to a lot of work to make it happen), after which I headed home and to bed.

No comments: