Friday, April 12, 2013

A post in which I have a visit

Today was pretty uneventful.  I did account reconciliations and worked on the twit report.  I yelled at agencies about status on accounts. 

Tonight I went to see Miss Kat and Dana.  My Aunt Pam had posted a recipe for homemade coconut cream pie, which made me just have a horrible craving for it.  So after work I went by the K&W and picked one up.  They make fantastic pies - their crusts are always flaky and flavorful in a way that mine never are.  You have to have really ugly mole-faced women, or really mean women to bake pies that good.  I don't know why it works that way, it just does.  The ugly ones make good pie because when they were younger, they would share their dreams of handsome suitors with their mothers, and their mothers would say "Let me teach you another recipe, baby."

While I was there I picked up a veggie plate for supper.  They had baby lima beans - old people food.  I never really cared for lima beans when I was younger, but now they are indescribably delicious.   So I got home, changed clothes, and enjoyed the gorgeous sunshine while I ate supper.  Then I headed for Miss Kat and Dana's house.

On the way there, I called Mama.  I had bought that pie from K&W, and it was Poppy's favorite.  I know Mama bought him many a pie from there, and I called her to tell her I was thinking about her, and about him, this evening.  I love my mama. 

We had a good visit, and caught up with each other. 

Tonight's movie was the video version of one of Tyler Perry's plays, called Madea Gets a Job.  In true Tyler Perry fashion, the laughs were liberally peppered with preaching and singing.  In fact, most of the last half hour of the show was Madea preaching to each of the characters.  Now it did wear thin after a while, but there were some good home truths in there.  Most of them weren't anything that anyone wit common sense wouldn't realize anyway, but at least one of them hit home for me.  She was talking to one of the characters about how 'all these women have a list' of things that they expect the right man for them to have.  Many times those lists are unrealistic or unobtainable.  So that may be why they're alone.  A similar theme to the K.T. Oslin song Mary and Willie.  I'm thinking that maybe I need to take another look at my list.  Maybe.

It was a good visit, and I enjoyed seeing them. 

No comments: