Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A post in which I have a night off

So of course I woke up Mama as soon as I got up this morning.  That's one of the problems with a small house.  Everyone lives each other's lives, whether they want to or not.  She is retired now, and there are no longer two six o'clocks in her day, but she was pretty good about it.  She got up and chatted with me while I got ready for work.  I kissed her goodbye and left her there.  She is of course baby-sitting today.

When I got to work all other thoughts disappeared.  A series of bombs hit my in-box after I left yesterday.  This is why I hesitate to take time off.  A big account announced they were going under, and everyone was running (metaphorically) around like chickens with their heads cut off.  So I stepped in there, sent an interpretive email to everyone who couldn't understand what the customer was saying, and emailed the customer.  Then they called me and I reported sanely on that conversation.  One of the supervisors took advantage of my absence (as she loves to do) to start placing accounts.  So I checked those in.  So it was a couple of hours before my day could officially start, but I had a fairly productive one.

After work today, I had nothing to do.  Unusually.  I had done all the laundry in the house before the doctor's appointment, because I didn't know if I would be able to fold clothes with my shoulder cut (as I had anticipated it would be).  David came Monday.  I did the yard (or at least ALL I was gonna do for now) last weekend, and it was raining anyway.  So there is a little window of time before the chores start mounting again, and before the upheaval to prepare for the trip next week.  Rhonda sent me a very sweet text today, and I thought about calling to take her to dinner, but a) I just did that last weekend; b) I just took Mama out last night; c) I am going out with the boys tomorrow night; d) I leave for the beach next week, where I will spend untold millions; e) the car taxes are still not paid; and f) I am broke.  So I elected to go the hell home and eat burrito left-overs from Monday.  Fair enough.

And that's about all I did.  I thought about calling a buddy to come over, but I really just decided I plain didn't want to go to the trouble. 

When I got in, Mama had left me a sweet note on the kitchen counter, which was a nice way to end the day.  I threw her sheets in the washer, fixed dinner, and collapsed on the sofa.  Which, after all the hecticness lately, felt kind of like a treat. 

No comments: