Saturday, April 13, 2013

A post in which I WORK*

And not on the runway either.

I had turned down an invitation to go to Columbia for a Gamecocks exhibition game today because I HAD to get out and work in the yard.  It looked awful.  Kavis has graduated now, and is on to bigger and better things.  He mowed it last year, I think, just to be nice.  But he lives all the way across town now, and my backup guy (for whom I do not have a number) hasn't shown up this year (despite hopes).  Mother is coming in on Tuesday, and there was just no choice.  I had to get out there and do it my damn self.  So I decided to do so, although I would MUCH rather have had a fun day out with Miss Kat and Dana.

First though, I was up way too early.  I played with my phone a bit and had a buddy named Frank come over.  We had a nice time.  Then it was time for breakfast.  I made myself a lovely breakfast, in part because I was sacrificing my (gorgeous) Saturday to do something I loathe.  After breakfast I was sleepy, so I went back to sleep for a while.  When I woke up it was about 11:30 or so.  I knew if I put this off any longer I wouldn't do it.  So I got out there. 

The weather was pretty, so at least it wasn't hot.  I started off by cutting some 'volunteers' out.  I am doing this all the time in my yard.  I guess it's from the birds, but there is shit just springing up everywhere that I don't want!  One of the reasons I can't get excited about putting things out, and the tending thereof, is that SO incredibly much time has to be spent killing things I didn't want in the first place.  Now to affect the necessary killing, I needed to buy some stump killer.  You'd think that would be the easy part, right?  Wrong.

The stump killer I used to use was simple and straightforward.  You cut the offending plant, squirted this stuff on the stump, and done.  They don't *&&^%$$#!! make that any more.  The only stump killer I could find required mixing with water (it was in powdered form), then you had to drill holes in the stump and pour this stuff in.  Well I guess that's fine if you're Laura fucking Ingles.  I first tried Kmart, where I figured they were just out of what I wanted, as per usual.  So I went to Home Depot, where they also didn't have it.  In addition there were a couple of lesbians there who wanted to lecture me on what I needed to do.  I understand that they live for this stuff, but I really wasn't looking for a class.  I finally just bought some 'brush killer' in a spray bottle and decided to hope for the best.

By the time I finished killing the things that bugged me the most, my thighs were screaming, and the rest of my body was ominously unhappy.  This was after about a half hour.  And I hadn't even starteed on the real work yet.  I had to mow.  The unseasonable cool weather, coupled with approximately seventeen feet of rain we've had this spring had whipped the weeds into a frenzy of hugeness.  My lawn looked like Angela Davis's pubic hair (circa about 1972).  I got out the lawn mower and it gamley started on the second or third pull.  That was one of my brighter strokes of genius - to buy a 'reconditioned' mower from the flea market rather than a new one.  I paid $65 for it about four years ago, and it's still going strong. 

That momentary satisfaction aside, I settled in to mow.  I had waited too long, but I got through the front yard without too much trouble - well for the mower anyway.  My body was wondering exactly what in the HELL was going on.  When I finished the front, I stopped for a water/text break.  I didn't want to go back, but I knew I had to finish.  So I filled up and went at the back yard, which was worse. 

The back yard is full of clover, and I hadn't realized just how high it had grown.  It was well over ankle-high, and it really took some doing to get the mower through it.  I had to go slowly and mow it all twice, etc.  I ran out of the last of the gas when I was almost done.  Sigh.  I really felt like my determination was being tested.

I went in the house, got my wallet and stuff, and went to the gas station for gas.  While I was there I filled up the car too.  Then I came back and finished.  Fortunatetly I had already put up all the trimmers/clippers/etc.  I just put the mower away and crawled into the house.  I was really hurting, but I was too filthy to lie down yet.  I had to go through the shower, which I did, amazingly, after taking some Tylenol.  I was standing under the water listing the things I had to do before I could lie down.  I did them.  Wincing and whining the whole time.  There was no one there to hear me complain but the cats, so I made all the noise I wanted.  Then I crept to the bed and collapsed. 

I lay there for a while, thinking I would go to sleep, but I didn't.  By this time it was about 4:30 or so, and I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast.  Despite the rest of my body screaming DON'T MOVE - EVER!!  My stomach was hungry, and when tummy ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.  I resolutely got up and started moving around to get dressed.  There was no point in having a blood sugar crash on top of the other misery.

I called Rhonda and went to pick her up to take her to supper.  The problem was that I was so hungry that I couldn't decide what I wanted.  I would no sooner make up my mind than I would think of something else that seemed even MORE delicious.  On the way to her house I decided to have mussels yaki, baked spaghetti, a burger, a milk shake, stuffed flounder, and more old people's food, in succession.  Rhonda, bless her, was no help - she doesn't seem to have cravings, and never seems to know what she wants.  We ended up going to Red Robin, where I ATTACKED a salted caramel milkshake (one of the best things just ever - and the main reason I went there), a veggie patty melt, onion rings, and a salad with blue cheese dressing.  YUM!! 

I felt so much better after eating that I decided to chance a stroll through Ross Dress for Less, but that was hubris.  We hadn't gotten in the door good before I ran into a guy I have kind of been ducking online.  Then shortly afterwards, I started hurting again.  Strangely, it was my shoulders that were killing me.  I just felt as if I needed to lie down.  I took Rhonda home, went home myself, and collapsed.  I took more Tylenol, but that was it. 

No comments: