Friday, April 5, 2013

A post in which I'm out with my best girl Rhonda

I got my appointment worked out with the doctor's office today.  I decided just to bite the bullet and go on in Monday morning to get it out of the way -ugh.

I have a good weekend coming up.  Angela is in Asheville, and I'm going to see her, Joann, Lisa and the kids tomorrow, so that will be fun.

I probably should have gone on home tonight, but I haven't seen Rhonda in a while.  I wanted to catch up with her from Frolicon, and talk to her about this Dick and Eve thing.  So I called and asked her out to dinner.  Of course, since it is spring, and since I had made plans, I was asked out on several dates tonight, but I didn't really mind telling them no.  There is nothing sexier to a gay man than indifference, so telling them no every once and a while keeps me alluring.

When I picked Rhonda up, I could see Tony's new car sitting there.  It's a Mercury, and it's pretty old, so he's going to have problems with it.  But since he went to buy it by himself, and since he isn't very good at taking suggestions, I let it lie.  He's bought it now, so it's too late anyway.  At least it isn't a Topaz - one of the worst cars that ever rolled (for a while, anyway).

I barley got Rhonda in the car before I dumped out the whole Dick and Eve mess in her lap.  Bless her heart.  She has done so much for me, and I just keep asking for more.  She's a wonderful listener, and knows all the background, which makes it so much easier for me to talk to her.  She was supportive and caring, and told me what I wanted to hear, and what I figure is probably the right thing to do.  I'm just having a hard time convincing myself. 

Since I had made it to Rhonda's early, we went out to the mall for a bit, just to walk around and get out of the house.  The less money I have, the strong the urge to buy things seems to be. Fortunately, there wasn't much on offer that I needed or wanted.  We looked at fancy purses, and looked over the new china patterns, picking out ones we liked, and inadvertently alerting the saleswoman at first - I think she thought we were there to register.  Belk's had a sale going on polo shirts, and since I wear those to work, I can always use a couple.  I bought one in an orange sherbet color, and one in pastel aqua.  It's hard to beat two decent polos for $25.

By this time we were starting to get a bit peckish, and headed on over to Adam's Bistro for supper.  Despite eating so much fish this week, I couldn't resist having a tuna melt.  As usual it was transcendent.  They make such a fabulous tuna melt there, and it is one of my absolute favorite sandwiches.  I also had the pasta salad, which was even better than I remembered.  I wish I could figure out how they get it to be so delicious.  I paid $10 for a pound of it to take home, which is completely ridiculous, but it's so good I just can't resist.  We ate at an outside table (the weather is finally warming up), and she told me about her adventures at Frolicon as we ate and the sun went down.  It was a bit chilly by the time we finished, but not enough to dissuade me from a piece of chocolate cheesecake, which was utterly decadent.

I ran Rhonda home after supper, and after talking for a while I headed on home.  It was great to see her.  Big day tomorrow!!

No comments: