Sunday, April 21, 2013

A post in which I am a patron of the arts*

I was up way too early again this morning.  Sigh.  But I arranged another visit to my buddy from yesterday, so that was nice.

After debating with myself on the way home, I decided not to do fast food again.  It's so bad for me - and Lord knows I don't need all those chemicals and crap in my body, not to mention the fat and calories.  I had homemade sourdough bread in the freezer that Mom bought me last week, so I toasted some of that with cheese, and some with just butter, and mangled a couple of eggs (that's what I call eggs you scramble them in the pan).  After breakfast I decided to go over to the flea market, partially to get fruit, but mostly just because I wanted to look around.  I was there too early for most people to be set up, but got my fruit, and found a pair of jeans that (miraculously) fit!  They're in good shape, and you can't beat Hilfiger's for $7, right?  I'm not proud.  That actually solves two dilemmas.  First, I have at least one pair of comfortable jeans to wear to the run, plus I have something to wear on casual Friday at work.  You can wear jeans, but I haven't been because all of my jeans are so tight in the waist now. 

After all that, I was sleepy, so I took a nap.  I woke up 11:30-ish, and for some reason thought I had plenty of time before the play today, so I was kind of lazily doing a few little odds and ends around the house.  I folded sheets, and put a load of clothes in so I could wash my 'new' jeans.  I tried to decide what to wear, going through all my ties, finding my fancy shoes, etc. 

Suddenly, it was 1:00pm.  Time seems to just fly by on the weekend.  What would have been fifteen minutes at work is about forty-five minutes in weekend time.  I had to leave the house in an hour, because I'd had a text from Kunti that she wanted to meet at the theater at 2:30 to get the tickets (!!).  I sent Larney a text to let her know about the time change, and received a panicked response from her.  She had forgotten all about the plans today.  Then she wanted to know what I was wearing, and I told her.  In the meantime, I'm rushing around the house like a crazy person, trying to get out the door on time, and trying to allow for extra time because my GPS chose this week to completely die (!!).  When the phone rang, I groaned.  I knew it would be Larney, begging off, and I just didn't have time to talk to her. 

Sure enough, when I answered the phone there was about five seconds of silence before an audible and dramatic sigh.  I just had no time for it.  I told Larney if she wasn't going I understood, but that I didn't have time to talk to her because I was trying to get ready.  I told her to just send me a text and let me know what she decided. Then I got in the shower.  I was really more abrupt with her than I intended, but in my defense I live through a lot of her drama at work.  There I'm being paid to do it.  Today I was on my own time, and just didn't have a lot of patience with it. When I got out of the shower, there was the expected text from her, telling me that she wasn't going.  I got dressed and headed out. 

I had remarkably little trouble finding the theater in Fountain Inn (which is not a place that I spend a lot of time) and in short order met up with Kunti and her friend Joey.  Joey was a small younger Asian guy in clam diggers.  Now I've never seen a straight man wear clam diggers (a look which pretty much works for no one btw), but he didn't volunteer anything and pretty much danced around my questions, so I let him go.  I wasn't interested in him, and it was none of my business. 

Oy.  The play.  We were seeing Gypsy today because our friend Nancy from work was in it.  Now I have seen Gypsy many times.  I have seen the incredible film version with Rosalind Russell.  I have heard several of the key songs sung by Ethel Merman, for whom the part of Rose was written.  I tried to adjust my expectations ahead of time.  Now the woman singing Rose's part was pretty good, but she was a Fountain Inn community theater diva, and she just couldn't compete with Rosalind or Ethel, though she gave it her all.  The entire production was pretty much Fountain Inn-tastic.  The women playing Baby June and Rose were pretty, had strong voices, and for Fountain Inn it was nice, but it was Fountain Inn.  For my $18, there was one cute guy in the chorus, one cute (though not so terrifically talented) trumpet player in the orchestra, a real lamb, and a pretty nice and funny cow suit.  I think it was easier for Kunti and Joey because they had never seen the play or the movie, and the musical itself is a delight.  I was glad to be there to support Nancy, because I know she was very proud of her work in it, and I love her.

After it was over, we congratulated Nancy backstage, and then repaired to Irashiai for dinner.  Nancy's cutie boyfriend Chris was there too, and it was a congenial table.  We had a very nice meal, joking, and picking on Kunti (it's remarkably easy to get a rise out of her, and I like her - she's a sweet woman).  Since I'm a lousy liar, and didn't want to cast the pall of 'damning with faint praise', I pretty much let Kunti and Joey enthuse about the performance, joining in with something positive when I could.  After a bit, the conversation moved on to other topics.  The food was great.  It was a nice ending to the weekend. 

Two more days at work, and then THE BEACH!!! 

No comments: