Friday, February 1, 2013

A post in which I get a new doctor

I woke up this morning feeling crappy.  It didn't matter.  The month ended yesterday, so short of spontaneous decapitation I had to go in.  I went.

I did leave in the middle of the morning to go to the new doctor.  I switched first because I was unimpressed with the way Dr. King handled this mess on the first go-round, and secondly because by switching to Dr. Lombardi, I got to keep Debbie as my nurse.  Debbie is phenomenal.  She's been listening to me whine for years, and she is the soul of patience.  Plus she's seen all my tattoos.  She didn't say a word today when I weighed.  I weigh the most I have ever weighed in my life right now.  Sigh.  I was quietly horrificated.

After getting my vitals, she gave me a big sales job on Dr. Lombardi.  I think the reason is that Dr. Lombardi has a severe port wine stain on her face, complicated with what I believe (after a little research) may be Klippel–Trénaunay–Weber syndrome.  Because this is on her lower face, her appearance is unusual.  Despite (or perhaps in part because of) this, she came in with personality plus.  She spent some time talking with me, going over medical history and the like before getting to what was going on.  I can't say that I forgot about her face.  She has one eye that doesn't focus on you.  But after I found the right eye to look at, it was as if I could see a pretty woman looking out from behind a mask.  She was very nice, and I liked her.  I can't imagine what it takes for her to face the public down here every day - let alone get through medical school!  There must be a will of iron to go along with that sweet friendliness.  She mentioned her face in passing, but I didn't ask a bunch of questions.  I'm sure she's sick of answering them.  I know I would be.

After discussion, she decided to prescribe the same antibiotic again, but she cautioned me that if this doesn't cure the problem, she may want to send me to see Dr. Gococo for a follow-up PET scan.  I don't think the lymphoma is back, but she is the doctor.  I'm also not sure about doing the same antibiotic again?  If this crap is back, that means that antibiotic didn't get it the first time.  I've read that you have to switch up sometimes to get rid of medication resistant strains - but again, she's the doctor. 

The first day of the month always sucks, because I have to do the reserve for the US and Canada on the same day.  The US report used to come in on the second day of the month, but Alan made them change it.  These reports are mind-numbingly boring and very time consuming - they take up most of the day.  That's why Alan gave them to me to prep.  I have tried to explain that this has to be outlawed in the Geneva Conventions somewhere, but he refuses to be persuaded.  By the time I finished those two reports, my brain was tapioca.  I did do a few other little things, but I was just too pudding-headed to really tackle anything else today.

I made my tired way home, stopping at CVS for the new round of meds.  The line, as usual, was milling and random.  I am not thrilled with the mail-order drug thing, but I sure won't miss that freakin' line at the CVS. 

When I got home, Dana ran by for a minute.  She offered for me to come see them, and I would have loved to have gone, but I didn't feel like going back out, and I didn't want to get them sick.  She sat with me for a minute or two, but she had Jack in the car, and she was antsy.  I just let her go.

After she left, I ate hot dogs and many cookies and went to bed. 

No comments: