Thursday, February 21, 2013

A post in which I am FINALLY done!!

I woke up this morning with Rhondee in the house, which is always a good way to start the day.  I chattered away to her as I got ready and we had coffee.  I really love it when she stays over.

I got to work, and (with the help of a spurring text from Rhonda) finally finished that ^%$@!! stupid project that has been hanging over my head for the last year.  It was such a relief to finish it.  I had planned on doing the PeeWee Herman dance to 'Tequila' when I got done, but decided this was inadvisable in the workplace because of all the crotchular pointing necessary.  Still, I was pretty stoked.

When I got off work, Rhonda was waiting for me.  She'd had her hair cut, but by a different person this time, and it didn't turn out nearly as well. That's the problem with going to a place like Great Clips.  But that's her life and her decision.

I dropped Rhonda at the house and then tried to decide whether or not I was going to the dinner night tonight.  I didn't really need to spend the money.  The food at Korean BBQ is great, but it's really spicy.  Plus, the back of the car was now full of recycling that Rhonda had forgotten to drop off.  Also, the dinners run so late.  We are never done before 9pm, and I had been up for several hours last night with insomnia.  Although a celebratory dinner had seemed in order after finishing that &^%$$##@!! stupid project, I decided to go on home.

After I dropped the recycling, I tried to decide what I was going to eat for supper.  I didn't want more yukky taters.  I had a perfectly good can of soup and cheese at the house for a grilled cheese to go with it, but I didn't want that.  Then I passed a billboard advertising the return of the Shamrock Shake.    Now I loathe McDonalds.  I almost never go there. But one of the odd manifestations of old age is that I am dingbat for pretty much anything mint.  And the mint shake made the decision tonight. Plus, they had been advertising the new Fish McBites all over television.  So off to the Evil Arches I went.  I ordered a fish mcbites meal, with a 'beverage upgrade' to a shamrock shake.  Then I waited in line.  And waited.  And waited.  (One of the things I hate about the McDonald's near my house is that they are eternally slow.)  Plus, at $7.11, my meal wasn't much of a bargain.  For about $2 more I could have had real food.

When I finally got my meal, my shake looked pretty pitiful.  It wasn't fully mixed, and looked rather like a sad, tired white and green tie die.  I went home and settled in to eat.  The fries were a bit cold, but serviceable.  The fish bites were tasty, and strangely did taste fresh, but after reading Fast Food Nation I could only wonder at the chemical torture necessary to pull of that implausibility.  The shake tasted fine, if cloyingly sweet.  I was glad I hadn't gotten a larger size. 

When I got through eating, though, I felt awful.  I don't know if this was just guilt and regret, and how much of it was the food.  But I was sitting there, bloated and slightly nauseated, thinking about how I was pondering detox yesterday, and then going to actively retox tonight.  I felt pretty ashamed of myself.  I had fallen for the marketing hook, line, and sinker.  It will be a while before I go back to McDonalds. 

In other, better news, I had a message tonight from a little ginger guy in Hendersonville who is apparently living in my world.  He is very young, but adorably cute.  I'm going to meet him if I can.  His name is Ben. 

No comments: