Sunday, February 24, 2013

A post in which I go to the flea market*

I was up at around 2:45am, but so was Marshall.  We exchanged text messages and decided to go to the flea market in the morning.  Eventually I got back to sleep.

When I woke up later it was still pretty early.  I futzed around the house for a bit, and went to see a buddy of mine really enjoy seeing when I get the chance.  Yeah, that went VERY well. 

When I got home, I kind of gave up on hearing from the guys, and started doing chores.  It was about 11:30 when I heard from Russ. Although it was late to go to the flea market, they wanted to go.  Since Barnyard tends to cater to the brunch crowd, that's where we headed.  When I got to the house I was suprised to see our friend Brian was there too.  I like Brian, but he isn't usually there for flea market runs.  Apparently he and Logan were hunting comic books today.

I was surprised at how many people were still there. It had turned off pretty, and they were doing a brisk trade.  I found a crystal Royal Lace sugar bowl.  I wouldn't have bought it, but it had the lid.  I've been looking for a lid for mine, but they usually can't be found.  This one was a bargain, and because of the lid I just couldn't resist.


'Royal Lace' sugar bowl with lid in crystal, by Hazel-Atlas, circa 1934-1941 


Another find was a set of Manhattan Ruby Red relish inserts. They fit into a large serving platter to make a sectioned service piece.  You find the platters everywhere, but I have never seen just the inserts for sale.  They were such a great price, I had to buy them.  I have the hard part - it's easy to find the platter to put them in. 
'Manhattan' relish insert in ruby red by Anchor Hocking, circa 1938-1943


I was flush with victory.  I haven't had much glass luck lately.  But I was also spending the grocery money on falderals.  After buying the set of inserts I stopped looking for glass, and got some fruit and some onions, which was ostensibly the reason I went in the first place.

After the market, we adjourned to

It was a great flea market trip, and I really enjoyed seeing the guys, but by the time we got back I was all in.  There was a bear dinner tonight, but I had already had a very full day.  I decided not to push it.  I'd seen the boys and gotten to spend some time with them, and there were going to be over 40 guys at dinner tonight, which just turns into a mob scene.  I just wasn't up for it. 

When I got home I didn't feel like cooking, or indeed doing much of anything.  I had a lunch for tomorrow, so I put off the cooking.  I spent a quiet evening and turned in early. 

No comments: