Sunday, February 3, 2013

A post in which I resign myself

I had brunch this morning with Rhonda, Marty, and Petal.  Despite everything, I really wanted to go.  I decided I could do that.  I have to eat anyway right?  Well, at this size, I don't have to eat, but it's not like I was going to skip a meal.  I got up and got ready.

Brunch today was at Stax Omega, and I had one of their incomparable omelets, which is the reason I go there.  It was delectable as usual.  Rhonda had a great time with them, as I figured she would.  It's good for her to get out of the apartment and do something.  She was in fine fettle today, cheeks rosy and eyes sparkling - and good for her.

Marty and Petal were great as always, but the rest of us were not at our best.  Russ was still hung over from the migraine, and Logan was still sick too.  Billy was OK though.  I sat at the end of the table with them and traded bon mots with Billy.  Sick or not, I was pretty freakin' stoked to have the company.  I enjoyed brunch, but afterwards I felt tired. 

I said fond farewells to them and headed towards the house.  I did stop off at the store for tissues, which I had forgotten, and to pick up some veggie bologna - I had a strange craving for a bologna sandwich, so I decided to get some for later.

When I got home, I called Laura to beg off from the Superbowl get-together they were having.  I was really looking forward to it too - even if Mark was going to be there.  I miss them, and hate missing the chance to see Kimbley, Laura, and Donnie, but there was nothing for it.  And I sure didn't want to give them this crap.

I lay down on the couch with the full intention of taking a nap, but ended up futzing around on the internet instead.  I talked to Anthony, one of the new guys I met through Growl'r, and he almost talked me into coming to see him, but he has the flu, and at the last minute a more level head prevailed.

I turned on the game, and sent texts back and for with Laura and Donnie.  It wasn't the same as being there, but at least they knew I was thinking about them.  The first half of the game was kind of a snoozer.  I had been all built up after seeing the back story on Colin Kaepernick, but the game itself seemed not that exciting.  The Ravens pulled ahead early, and it seemed to be pretty much over.  The Beyonce half-time show was fantastic I thought.  She pretty much shoved it in her critics faces by performing flawlessly, and absolutely live.  There were some mike muffles, but that is to be expected I guess.  I wouldn't have put it past them to do that on purpose so there could be no question that she was singing life after all the fall-out from her performance at the inauguration. 

When the game came back on, the Ravens ran it all the way down the field for yet another touchdown, and I thought well, that's it - I'm going to bed.  When the power went down in half the stadium, it seemed that I wasn't the only one who felt that way.  I sent a couple of texts to Donnie, turned off the lamp, and turned in. 

No comments: