Thursday, February 14, 2013

A post in which I celebrate Singles Awareness Day*

I was up early getting ready.  It was nice to have Rhonda in the house to wake up with.  We had coffee and chatted most enjoyably, before I started the chore-go-round with which I begin each workday.  We left in plenty of time to get to work despite the traffic (notably bad this morning), and I left her the car and went in.

The day was OK.  I got some more done on the awful project.  It's almost over, if I can just take a Dramamine and force myself to finish it.  Flowers were delivered, but unlike in years past, they didn't overly depress me.  Partly because there aren't as many as there used to be (back in the day, the credit department became a virtual cut forest), party because I'm more mature now (although I usually loathe VD) and have a better perspective after treatment (there are far worse things than not having a bouquet to show off on VD), and partially, I'll admit, because I had a date tonight.  Well at least I thought I did.

I had sent some pictures to Tyler this morning via text, but hadn't received a response, which is unlike him. He's very courteous.  I sent him a message at lunch, and got a brief response that he hadn't had time because things were rough at work.  They would have to be to keep him from anticipatory texting.  By the end of the day, I'd had only that one text, and we had made no plans as to arrival time, etc.

Rhonda was waiting when I got off work, and the car looked SO much better.  I had asked her to have it washed today while she was out, and she seemed happy to oblige.  She was less happy, though, when I asked her how her day had gone.  Tony had basically commandeered the car, and she had spent most of the day attending to his errands.  She had gotten almost nothing done that SHE wanted to do, which was the whole point.  I was embarrassed to find out that having the car washed had eaten up two and a half hours due to the line.  It had never occurred to me it would be that bad, but I bet a lot of people were having their cars washed for VD dates later.  Sigh.  I was disappointed for her, frustrated with her for no asserting herself more, and kind of pissed at Tony for being selfish.  He's 22 now, and old enough to have some consideration for other people.  I told her I would give her the car again next week, with the proviso that she do HER stuff, and not spend all day on Tony.  Sheesh.

While we were in traffic, I sent a text to Tyler, and he responded that he still intended to come tonight.  I got his order (we had decided on Chinese take-away rather than fight to get into an over-booked restaurant - that turned out to be perfect after his high stress day) for food, and dropped Rhonda off.  I called in the order for food to No 1 China downtown.  I used to eat there all the time when I lived downtown, but since I moved I've been eating at the other one.  The food is better from the one downtown, and since I was going by there anyway, and since I wanted the best for Tyler, it just made sense.

When I got there, there were only a couple of people.  They had two guys cooking, and one woman on the phone taking orders and checking people out.  About the time I got there, the calls started rolling in.  I was glad I had called before.  She finally got free to check me out, and was very sweet.  Of course I knew it was going to be awful tonight anywhere, and I had time.  Tyler was running late.

I got home, and got a beautiful card from Mom, telling me what a kind and thoughtful son I am, which made me feel like a dog.  I usually step up when Mom doesn't have a beau, and I send flowers or something on VD so she doesn't feel abandoned.  I didn't even send a card this year.  So I called her and talked to her for a bit.  Lisa hadn't caught her up on anything from Cole's birthday, so I told her all about that.

By the time I got off the phone, I was wondering where Tyler was.  I had a frustrated-sounding text from him that he was running later.  That was fine, but I was hungry.  I was worried he would be out of sorts too, but when he came in, it was all fine.  We were really glad to see each other, and as it turned out, it was a while before we actually ate.  Dinner anyway.  We were both really hungry for each other, and I will just say that it was fantastic.  Transcendent.   Ecstatic.  Wow.

Anyway, when we came down to earth, we adjourned to the living room for supper and chat.  We talked until I told him I had to go to bed.  He's a sweet guy.  I like him.  And it was really nice to have something to do on VD other than complain and sulk. 

No comments: