Sunday, February 10, 2013

A post in which I am kind of bad

I was up early again this morning, but ate something and went back to sleep for a while.  I was up pretty late last night, and hadn't slept well Friday night.

I got up about 10am to get ready to go.  Today was Cole's birthday lunch.  Eve had called and set this up with me yesterday.  Although I hated that it would eat most of the day (I have lots of chores left to do after playing all day yesterday), I wanted to see Cole.  I just got ready to go.

When I took my pills this morning, I took my last heart pill.  I thought I had all my stuff in from the prescription service, but couldn't find my blood pressure medication.  I took all the stuff out of the cabinet looking for it before I remembered that I was supposed to get that filled locally.  I had hoped to get it filled this morning before I went over to Dad and Eve's but I ran out of time and just had to go on.

When I got to the house, Eve was busily loading 8,000 pounds of crap into the car.  She had gotten a balloon centerpiece and a birthday cake to take with us to the restaurant, a Valentine's bag for Ava, a birthday present for Lisa (whose birthday is March 1) and on and on.  I knew Cole would be embarrassed to death.  He has not only that hyper-sensitive teen-age thing going on, but he is a taciturn kinda guy.  He's like his dad.  He just isn't expressive or demonstrative.  But Eve is a force of nature, and it's not like she's going to miss an opportunity for Dad-sanctioned shopping.  I let it go. 

We got there in good time (we always have to be early), and had a nice lunch.  Things went well.  Cole was agreeable, and endured the festivities with good-natured patience.  Lisa was in a good mood, and it was good to see her.  She was a-chatter about her tattoo removal (she had her ex-husband's name tattooed on her ring finger - yes it was a proud moment for us all), and other things.  She offered me some helpful advice on pantar fasciitis - she has it too, and has for years. 

After a pleasant lunch (topped with a rich piece of chocolate cake covered in a quite surprisingly strong bourbon-laced chocolate ganache - go Strossner's), I drove home, dropped off the folks, and was out at about 4pm.  I had some time to do the things I needed to get done, but I was tired.  Still, no rest for the wicked.

I had lost my prescription for my heart meds.  I thought I had left it in the dash of the car so I could fill it whenever, but it wasn't in there.  I went home and turned out my briefcase, but no luck.  I'm usually not one to misplace things, but my memory has gone to shit after chemo.  I finally found it in the basket o' mystery on the bar - that was a huge relief.  I headed off to Wal-Mart to get it filled.

I know.  I try never to go to Wal-Mart.  I know that the bargain prices they offer are predicated on sweatshop labor, inhuman working conditions, the destruction of small business, and the heartbreak of psoriasis.  But the doctor had told me I could get my blood pressure medication there for less than the cost of my co-pay with the insurance, which proved to be true.  Since Lisinopril is not a generic, to get it filled on my health insurance costs $50.  I got a 90-day supply filled tonight for $10 full price. 

The problem is that I had to wait for it.  I decided to get one or two things.  By the time my prescription was filled I had a cart full.  I know.  They had a whole rack of zip-hoodies, my go-to garment at present.  I got three.  A tan (a neutral I need), a blue (which is my color), and a gorgeous heather green that I just couldn't resist.  The color reminded me of how I pictured the elf cloaks in the Lord of the Rings books.  And I was wiped

I was tired when I got there, and it was an hour later on my feets.  They had held up well yesterday, but they were a-barkin' today.  The place was jammed to the rafters.  If a bomb had fallen, half the trailer parks in South Carolina would have been emptied.  And they were stocking UP - as if for an Arctic expedition.  Carts were mounded up, and some people had more than one cart.  I got into the 'speedy' check-out line, which was apparently oxymoronically named by someone with a sadistic sense of humor.  I waited.  And waited.  And waited.  There were three guys directly in front of me who were obviously brothers or buddies of some kind, who had divided their purchases up into three carts so that they could get in the '20 items or less' line.  The cashier working the 'speedy' checkout line obviously had days of experience under her belt.  I was finally, finally almost up there, and the guy in front of me was almost done.  Then, on the last item, a stupid piece of Valentine's Day candy of some kind, it wouldn't scan.  The clerk turned on the blinky blinky blinky light, which I originally thought was to summon a manager, but was apparently just for the entertainment of the (endlessly) waiting shoppers because no manager came.  Just as I was about to offer to pay $5 for the ^%$#@!! stupid gee-gaw to see if it would get him the hell on, he decided he could live without it.  I had been there about 5 minutes ago. 

Then she started checking me out.  One of the hoodies didn't have a tag on it.  Never mind that there were two others in the cart that were the exact same price.  On went the blinky light of amusement.  At that point, I would have just left the damn thing, but after a lengthy discussion with the clerk beside her (and at my continued entreaty) she finally just scanned one of the others twice, and bagged it.  After which I promptly broke a light bulb she had mounded up in the same bag as four pounds of bananas.  GRRRRR.  I went and got another light bulb, and made a break for the exit.  Where I found that while I had been in the store, it had started to rain.  Lovely.  Of course the parking lot is the size of Oklahoma.  I draped one of my new hoodies on my head, slogged to the car, and loaded it.  I was so glad to be out of that place I could have done a tap-dance if I'd had the feet for it.

I got home and got everything in the house.  I was damp, hungry, and hurting, but I was thrilled to be home.

Then I started in on the chores I had to do to start the week.

I switched out a load of laundry and put towels in to dry - every towel in the house had been dirty. 
I made brussel sprouts to take for lunch this week.
I ate supper, and cleaned up the kitchen.

I had to wait for the towels to dry so I could put the shower curtain in to wash - I had placed it in with lemon juice and salt to bleach earlier. 

I did not get my taxes done this weekend.  I desperately need to do that.  I also didn't get my taters cooked.  I'm making greek potatoes for this week also.  But I had something to take for tomorrow, and there was just no time or endurance to do anything else tonight. 

When I finally got to a stopping place, I put my aching body down, where I promptly couldn't sleep.  I was hurting too badly.  But eventually I drifted off.  It's the start of another fun-filled week in the morning. 

No comments: