Thursday, November 1, 2012

A post in which I get some unfortunate news*

One of the things that bothered me last night was that I couldn't get the heat to come on.  I wasn't really cold, but I figured Rhonda would be.  When I got up this morning, I was cold.  I messed with the heater, but no dice.  Usually there is a bit of a snag when I go from air conditioning to heat, but it doesn't last long.  I turned it off and back on, and then raised the temp on the thermostat.  Nothing. 

When I got to work I called the HVAC guy Dad uses.  He's been out before and serviced my HVAC for me, and he's an honest guy.  I met him at the house for the news.  My gas pack is dead.  Sigh.  I knew this was coming.  I bought it with the house, and it has served me nobly, but it is twenty years old and is just giving up the ghost.  He told me he could possibly patch it back together, but he couldn't guarantee he could do that.  The parts are rusted and fused, and could very well just crumble if he tried to take them apart.  Also, he said he wouldn't trust it if he patched it, and I would have to have carbon monoxide alarms put in.  I reluctantly asked him to get a price on a new one.  The one I have is a Trane, and I know they're expensive.  He said there is another brand he works with that he thinks is just as good, but is cheaper.  I told him to get me a price on that one too. 

Oy.  I had just gotten my finances back together after the doctor bills and the after-cancer trip-fandango were paid off.  It's always something, innit?

I went back to work with a heavy heart. There was month end to tend to.  Especially now. 

After work I went home, ate left-over salad, and waited.  I had a buddy coming over.  He obligingly did so, despite the heat issues.  I had a space heater going in the living room.  It was still chilly, but he stayed anyway and we had a nice evening.  He's a nice guy. 

No comments: