Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A post in which it is a crap-tastic day!

The alarm went off a half hour early this morning, so that I could go to my six month checkup with my GP.  Joy.  I was so not looking forward to this.  To make matters even more lovey, I was to fast (they love to compound the joy by denying you breakfast AND coffee), and got stuck in a traffic jam on the way to the appointment.  Thankfully I had left the house a little early, so I wasn't late to the doc.

The doc, as expected, really had nothing good to relate.  I am up ten pounds, to start.  The changes that I have now are pretty much permanent.  The free-floating nausea and the bad taste in my mouth, she ascribes to reflux.  I'm calling shennanigans on that.  I'm not burping up anything and don't have heartburn.  If I decide to, I can start taking Prilosec again (I took it for a while during chemo), but I really don't think that is the problem.  The last time I saw Dr. Go, he thought that the remaining foot pain I have was not due to neuropathy, but to plantar fasciitis. Although I think this is a much more acute symptom than I have, I ran it by her. She said it was possible, and told me she would refer me to a podiatrist, but frankly at this point I would rather endure than go to another freakin' doctor.  Also we discussed statins, and I pretty much told her that they would affect my quality of life enough that I won't take them.  She agreed, and said that we would just have to treat my cholesterol with diet and exercise.  Joy.  If I have anything that tastes good in my mouth, I'm to spit it out; and I'm to voluntarily submit to torture.  She ended the appointment by telling me that the sooner I accepted the new normal, the better it would be.  Apparently I have reached the age that there will no longer be any  good news from the doctor.  Before I left, they took blood to test my cholesterol again.  Thankfully, they were able to get blood on the first try.  That is one of the few things that went well today. 

When I left there, I stopped for breakfast.  I knew that I wouldn't get to take a lunch hour since I was coming in late.  I went to the new Stax restaurant, cutesily named The Epic Curean (although it is spelled differently online and half the time in real life, making it harder to find).  After tomato juice, a spinach and feta omelet (hey, there was spinach in there), buttered grits, and an English muffin; all served by a very nice and pretty waitress, I felt ready to face the day.

I got to work, parked in the south forty (if you aren't here early, you pretty much can't park within the county), and hiked in.  That's exercise right there.  Maybe I should start parking there every day.

Work was work.  I proceeded to diddle-fart around and not work on those &%$#@! ISO documents.  They have to be done by the end of the month.  I just can't seem to buckle down on them.  I hate them SO much.  My real job, however, is caught up and fine.

Then we were called into a meeting at 4:15pm.  Now you just knew nothing good was going to come of that.  They announced that a) we had hired new auditors (joy - they will know less than the old auditors about how things work, and can ask even more stupid, useless, and dildonicly repetitive questions); b) we had the new audit specs (fresh hell - not the specs we're used to providing); and c) the entire audit is due to be turned by close of business Thursday.  Not next Thursday.  In two days.  Because California can't seem to coordinate these requests and get them to us within any reasonable length of time, and they always come screaming in as red-hot four-alarm-fire emergencies.  Grrrrrrr.

I was really glad I had begged off dinner with Dad and Eve tonight.  I had just spent Saturday evening with them, and I was parents-ed out at the mo.  Plus I didn't feel good.  (How much of that was psychosomatic is anyone's guess.)  I did hear back from Eve that Dad had gotten through his cardioversion today just fine.  I grumped home with a reasonably clear conscience, resisting the temptation to stop and gorge myself on chicken wings, which I sometimes do when I'm having a pity party.  I'm planning on maybe going to supper with the boys Thursday night (depending on where they go), and I really don't need to be eating out multiple times per week anyway.  In the old days, I structured my budget such that eating out was justified by the need to socialize, so when eat out, I need to do it with friends. 

I was glad to be home, but there wasn't much to eat for supper.  I finished up the salad I bought last night, finished up the winter squash I had in the fridge, and finished up with some cheese and crackers, and then some peanut butter crackers.  I figured at my weight and cholesterol, I didn't need more supper anyway. 

I cleaned up the kitchen, made some tea, played some computer solitaire, and turned in with My Neighbor Totoro

No comments: