Friday, November 2, 2012

A post in which I go to Miss Kat and Dana's

One of the things I spent the day doing yesterday was lining up places to stay this weekend.  I didn't freeze, but the house wasn't very comfortable last night.

I waited all morning for the HVAC guy (aka Bobby) to call.  He's a really nice guy, he's honest, and he's done good work for Dad, but he's not exactly going to set any land speed records.  I was surprised and pleased when he came out yesterday within a couple of hours of when I called him, but I was ready to get this taken care of.

I finally called him about noon.  I found that he had one of the two prices I asked him about.  To replace the Trane will be about $4500!!  YIPES!!  I mean, I knew this wouldn't be cheap, but wowsers.  He didn't have the price on the other brand he recommended (surprisingly since he had just left that dealer, apparently), but he told me that 'nothing was going to happen before Monday'.  Now that's all well and good, but that leaves me with no heat all weekend.  Fortunately, the temperatures are forecast to be mild.  That didn't mean that I wanted to stay at the house with no heat though. Also, puzzlingly, he seems to be still running down parts for the old heater, which would (according to warning) be a carbon-monoxide belching menace after repair.  I guess he wants to give me options, but I'd much rather him spend the time looking into systems than chasing down parts (which are apparently in Texas) for a repair job I don't really want. 

Anyway, I resigned myself to wait.  I had places to go, and it is the weekend.  I decided there wasn't any point in getting het up about it.

After work I went to Whole Foods to see Vince.  He had (after hearing me fuss about it) just ordered the freakin' Katy Perry CD I've been trying to get for several weeks now.  I went in and bought some surprisingly expensive sushi for supper, and sat with him on his break to eat.  He was in work mode though, and not happy about something that was going on with the cashiers, so I had his divided attention.  Still, always good to see him.

Leaving there, I went home, threw some things in a bag, and headed for Miss Kat and Dana's house.  It was good to get there and relax.  There has just been so much going on this week.  Time at their place is like time out of time, which was what I needed.  We watched  Madea's Witness Protection and cracked up, and I did my best to forget everything else. 

It was a nice evening.  After the movie, I turned in in their very comfy guest room, and reflected on the good fortune of having good friends with big houses with whom I could go to stay. 

No comments: