Saturday, November 17, 2012

A post in which I am running all over

I was up early.  Although I had forgotten and left the alarm clock set for work time, sadly I had been up for a half hour before it went off. 

I played around online some, and looked up rockers made out of recycled plastic  They have them at old folks' homes and they're pretty nice.  Plus they don't have to be painted.  I had decided I wanted some for the porch, but at $360 each (!!), I decided I'd just have to paint the old ones.  I sent Eve an email asking for some Todd Ivester pans and a gift card to Fresh Market for Christmas.  They don't usually like to give practical gifts, but since they got me tires last year, we live in hope. 

I got up to start the day.  I made a breakfast sandwich and some coffee, which I put in a travel mug to enjoy on my way to the flea market.  I had no one but myself to please, and plenty of time, so I went on up to Barnyard this morning. 

I was in a terrific mood.  It wasn't horribly cold, the sun was shining, and I just felt like being pleasant to people, so that's what I did.  I didn't find any glass (well not any that I wanted anyway), but I did get a compliment from a woman I used to work with that was very kind.  But mainly I just walked around smiling at people and telling them good morning.  The wind was pretty blustery though, so by the time I had seen it, I was ready to roll.  I picked up some surprisingly pretty green beans, some celery (I'm going to make my dressing when I get home from Mom's next week, and I'm thinking ahead), some Rome Beauty apples.  They had some beautiful spring onions too (I don't know either) so I made a snap decision to make some Knorr spinach dip, which I have been craving for several weeks.  I don't have an occasion to take one anywhere (which is how I usually get my fix) so I'm just going to make one for me.

As I left Barnyard, I started running through all the things that I should have bought and hadn't.  I have a potluck at work next week.  I'm making Grandma Shumate's sweet potato casserole, and I'm going to do it right this time.  The recipe was developed for canned sweet potatoes, and I have never bought them.  I always want to use real sweet potatoes, so mine always comes our runny.  But I had seen that they had organic mashed canned sweet potatoes on sale at Whole Foods the other week, so I stopped in to get a couple of cans of those for the casserole.

I then went to my second flea market of the day to get the things I had forgotten.  I got onions, apples, and pecans to finish up the fresh ingredients I needed to make stuffing next week (I can get the rest at the grocery store), some potatoes for lunches next week, and some tomatoes to go with the rest of my pimento cheese.  I just wanted one tomato, but I couldn't find one on offer, so I bought a bucket of culls for a dollar.  I figured I could pick through them and get what I needed to go with the cheese, and then figure out something to do with the rest. 

When I got home, I picked through the tomatoes, sliced some of them fresh to go with lunch, and then threw the rest in a pot to make some of Poppy's tomato relish.  He always served it with green beans, and since I have beans for lunch next week that's perfect.  Man, did it turn out delicious!  It's a simple recipe and I haven't made it in a while, so it's easy to forget how great it turns out.  I was well pleased. 

Then I got to work on the door.  I drilled out the wallowed-out holes in the door and glued in pieces of dowel rod, then left them to dry.  While I had it apart, I decided to see if I could use the beautiful door knob Russ had given me a couple of months ago when I fixed the latch.  Well there were issues.  First, all the screws that went with it were missing.  The knobs screw on, but not far enough onto the spindle to fit the door.  Also once I got the old latch out, it quit working.  I went to the hardware store.  I was going to buy a new latch assembly, but was told they don't sell that any more (my house is almost 100 years old).  I could buy the latch, but I would have to buy knobs and all to go with it, and I don't need all that.  I got some screws and left. 

When I got home, I cleaned up and put my beans on to cook, then started getting cleaned up myself.  I ate lunch and sent the boys a text about dinner.  I got some preliminaries back, but no commitment. They were all going to see the latest Twilight movie today.  Although I wanted to see them, I had no desire to plunk down $12 to go see a movie I had no desire to see. 

About the time I got ready to roll, Dana called to invite me over.  I told her I would have to talk to the boys first.  The problem was, I couldn't reach them.  Any of the three of them.  Never mind the hundreds of gigabytes of data at their disposal.  Never mind that they are constantly buried in their phones to the point of obsession.  Not one of the three answered the phone.  After fuming for a bit and putting away my beans, I just sent them a text and told them I was headed to Miss Kat and Dana's for dinner.

I stopped at Little Caesar's for pizza.  Dana told me that both she and Miss Kat had worked today, and they weren't up to big thoughts about dinner, which was fine with me.  I was hungry (my half-container of pimento cheese hadn't been a huge lunch, even with crostini and tomato), and it is so hard to get them to let me do anything for them, even though I have repeatedly asked.  I was happy to take in dinner tonight.  When I ordered my standard pizza, the girl behind the counter went "YUCK!"  Apparently she didn't like mushrooms.  I thought it was so funny I couldn't really be offended, but I thought that might not be the best thing to say to a customer ordering food....

The view in Little Caesar's.  Yep, I was pretty bored waiting for the pizza.

I also returned their heater, along with effusive thanks for letting me use it.  I just settled in with them to visit and talk.  We watched some TV and just relaxed.  It's always good to spend time with them.

No comments: