Thursday, November 15, 2012

A post in which it is a very long work day

When I got in this morning, I quickly started feeling over my head, but I knew what I needed to do.  I just got organized, got stuck in, and made the fur fly.

First, I wanted to get my audit stuff finished.  It was supposed to be in by this afternoon anyway, and I figured everyone else would wait until the last minute and the woman coordinating the project would be swamped.  Unfortunately that one invoice from 2008 took forever to chronicle, even though I now had the tools to find all the documents I needed.  Eventually, though, I got it done. 

Next it was on to the twit report.  The twit meeting is tomorrow, and despite all the extra work piled on with this audit, I still had to be ready for it.  I could have left some of it to do tomorrow morning, but I had no idea what tomorrow would bring, and I wanted to be ready for the day.  That meant finishing the report today.  So I did.  I took some time out to do my regular job, but gave up my lunch hour.  It took me an additional hour to finish up anyway. 

The bake sale went well.  We raised over $500 for one of the women in the office who is having bad problems with a newly born granddaughter.  There were so few things for sale that I was really glad I had brought something.  I didn't give that much money, but I didn't have that much cash on me, and since I had brought stuff to sell, I didn't feel too badly, although I felt very badly for the woman. 

All the treats didn't sell, so after the sale was over, I went around and gave them to people I worked with who might not have had one.  I didn't want to take any home, but I kept out three to take over to Dad.  I had promised him that I would bring him one the next time I made them. 

At the time, I hadn't realized I would have to work so late.  When I drug out of the office at 6:30pm after a solid ten-hour day at my desk, my brains were just tapioca.  But I went by Dad and Eve's to leave the treats.  Dad wasn't home, but I left them with her.  I had interrupted her supper, but that gave me an excuse to just go on home.  I was SO tired. 

But I had to buy cat food before I could go home.  I got to PetSmart, and then realized there was a dollar store right next door.  I went in there and replenished my bake sale plastic bags before I got the cat food and went on home. 

After that, I couldn't decide what to have for supper.  I resisted the urge to get fast food, but thought that I would like to have some smoked almonds.  I stopped off at Family Dollar to get those (their nuts are cheaper, and if the almonds are smaller, well, they hold proportionately more smoke salt - yum).  While I was in there, one of the employees randomly started following me around, telling me about her personal life, which was apparently trying.  Although part of me realized that I should really be compassionate, part of me was like shut up!  I just came in here for some nuts, for cryin' out loud!  Although I had been enjoying just browsing around looking at the Christmas stuff, I got my nuts and made my getaway. 

I got home and lugged everything in.  I didn't feel like more spinach salad tonight, so I had nuts and frozen vegetarian corn pups (little battered corn dogs), which really weren't bad at all.  In fairness though, by that point I was so tired I really didn't care.

I cleaned up the kitchen and went to bed.  I was very glad that today was done. 

No comments: