Monday, November 26, 2012

A post in which it is a very long day

I woke up this morning feeling like crap.  I couldn't decide if I was coming down with something from Ava (who, bless her, is perpetually carrying some pestilence), if it was turkey hangover, or if there could be some other, more nefarious problem.  In the end it didn't matter.  It's fiscal year end.  I sucked it up and went in. 

Unfortunately. 

When I opened my in-box, I found that the evil Canadian elves had been hard at work Friday while I was shopping.  TEN new freakin' accounts (more than they have placed in months!!).  I was freaking out.  I emailed Alan.  I had set aside this week to work on ISO.  I have no idea how I'm going to do that now.  Their accounts take forever to work because they basically have to be constructed from no records, and then I have to go through the usual easy 107-step process to get them checked in.  I was very, very stressed.  Fortunately Alan emailed me back and told me I could wait to work them after month/year end.  Then he sent me a casual email telling me to code ANOTHER ten new accounts to my territory for year end.  It was just all I could get done to get all the coding done, much less decide how to actually work any of them.   And then there was my regular job to do as well... 

I had a decent lunch today - meh - left-over green beans from last week, apples, and a peanut butter sandwich.  Not the breakfast of champions, but it was good to have something I could eat at my desk.  Taking a lunch hour today was a pipe dream. 

I worked straight through until 6:30, but at that point my brains were basically oatmeal, and it was pretty apparent to me that I wasn't going to get anything accomplished if I stayed, and that I would probably have to go back over it all anyway.  I left.

Besides, I had cooking to do tonight.  Fortunately, I had almost everything I needed already at the house.  I got the Quorn Turk'y Roast in the oven and then started making dressing.  Taking a tip from Mama, I threw the celery, onion, apples (I did have to peel and core them), mushrooms, and pecans into the food processor.  The dressing was done in time to put in the oven with my roast when I turned it over. 

I thought I had some frozen egg rolls in the freezer, but when I went to the cupboard it was bare.  I had to settle for some black bean soup that I did NOT want, but I pacified myself that it was much healthier for me than egg rolls would have been.  Cold (and vaguely can-y tasting - it had been in the house too long) comfort.  Nonetheless, I gobbled it down and headed back to the kitchen to finish up.

I made the brussels sprouts, and then the gravy, then set it all up to cool and started washing dishes.  When my dressing came out, it was gorgeous, perfectly moist and not at all gloppy, with a nice crispiness on top - lovely.  I got eight servings of dressing out of the pan.  I paired four of them up with sliced Quorn Turk'y loaf and put them in the fridge for lunches, then bunged the other four in the freezer. 

By the time I had done all that, it was pretty much what I could do to brush my teeth and crawl into the bed.  I turned on the television, but was asleep just about before my head hit the pillow.

No comments: