Thursday, November 22, 2012

A post in which we give thanks*

I woke up way earlier than I wanted to this morning.  I intended to go back to sleep.  I really did.  But I got sucked into the internet vortex, and a very unsatisfactory buddy visit.  Sigh.  By the time I had all that sorted, it was time to get started on the day. 

I turned on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade while I started stirring around.  I warmed up the last of the rosemary taters for  breakfast, topping them off with the last of the tomato relish.  It was really like potatoes and ketchup with an attitude, but it was tasty, and got the job done.  I did various chores, stripping and re-making the bed, cleaning up the kitchen, folding laundry, and packing for the trip.  I decided to iron my clothes for lunch so that I looked extra-nice today.  Eve appreciates stuff like that.

Unfortunately, the iron got schmutz all over my pants (which are the lightest khaki, so it showed) and I realized the shirt I picked out had an old stain on the placket - AFTER I finished ironing it.  By that time, I needed to get cleaned up and going though, and I wasn't about to start ironing another shirt.  I rarely iron anything anymore.  It's approaching a conviction on my part.  I rationalized that the stain wasn't really that noticeable, unless you knew where it was.  So I spot-cleaned the pants schmutz as best I could, hung them up to dry, and jumped in the shower.

When I got out, I had a text from Eve that they were on schedule (yes, even Lisa and crew) and would be at the hotel at 2pm as scheduled.  It was apparently a Thanksgiving miracle.

In fact, they were all there before me, and an anxious Eve had already had them seated.  I wasn't late, but that woman just cannot bear to wait for anything.  Luncheon (a meal that costs as much as this one did really has license to put on airs) was at the Embassy Suites today, and I have to admit it was quite impressive.  The large atrium kind of wends it's way around and across (on little bridges) decorative koi pools, with little waterfalls and fountains. 

The food was equally impressive.  There was a whole roasted/steamed salmon that was beautiful and delicious - I shudder to think of the amount of time spent pulling pin bones from the outside of the fish to make that possible.  It was a bit under, but better under than over with salmon.  There were also salmon fillets oven-poached in a white wine sauce with capers.  There was a huge bowl of enormous shrimp (again, a bit under - I think they had been frozen, but still acceptable).  There was a separate buffet for kids, one for salad, one for cold dishes, and several for hot, a carving station with turkey and ham, and of course one for desserts.

I opted out of pumpkin pie (I'll have the homemade at Mom's if I'm going to eat pumpkin pie, thank you) in favor of bananas foster, which is one of my very favorites.  Sadly, that was the only real disappointment.  But the food was overall very good, and everyone was on their best behavior.  If Ava didn't eat much, well at least she wasn't screaming and climbing things.  I heard rumors that she was making up for being a terror last night, but that happens; and as the beneficiary that was a deal I would take.)  I ate until I could not move.  I mean really, it was borderline obscene.

After lunch we went back to Dad and Eve's house for a visit.  Cole rode with me.  I gave Lisa her pickled peaches.  She really was happy to get them.  She's so proud she makes it very hard for you to do anything for her, but she hadn't been able to find any peaches.  They are her favorite, and I was glad to be able to get them for her.

The visit ran much longer than I had thought, however.  It was 6pm before I even knew it.  We all got up to leave, and Lisa was taking a while to get moving.  I know she had just as far to go as I did, but after a while I just had to get going.

I ran past the recycling place and dropped that off (I had put it in the car earlier, with thoughts of dropping it off on the way, but had ran out of time), got back to the house, changed, loaded the car, and headed out.  When I called Mom to tell her I was on the way (I had gotten a late start, and didn't want her to worry) she told me there had been a ten-car pile-up in Newberry.  Groan.  I was driving right into that.  She was also worried about Lisa. She hadn't heard from her, and Lisa was probably in front of me. 

I called Lisa, who was fine, and warned her so she could get off the freeway.  Then I called Mom back to tell her Lisa was OK so she wouldn't worry.  Then I called Dad and Eve to tell them we were all fine so they wouldn't worry.  I briefly reflected on the miracle that is a cell phone before I started dreading the backed-up traffic.

Happily that never materialized.  I breezed right on into Columbia in record time.  Mom and I caught up, and unbelievably I had some dill dip she had made and a piece of pumpkin pie before I turned in.  After the enormous lunch I had eaten my intention had been to put myself to bed with no supper - indeed I couldn't imagine wanting any supper, but where there's a gut there's a way I guess...

No comments: